Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

Thanks Mike

I had no red swiss straw for legs so I improvised. The first two have legs made from knotting and gluing together (Thin UV resin) 6 layers of red floss and the third hoppers had red monofilament line (12lb) that I found in the garage. I prefer the floss in regards to how it sits on the water but I am pretty sure the trout don't take that into consideration. Size, colour and a less than perfect cast seems to be all that is required.

You will laugh but I normally don't take photos of the trout. And if I do it is usually after I have taken a keeper out of the fish smoker!

I have finally learnt to tie pheasant tail fibres for legs and they do look more realistic. I have since spent a few hours knotting and gluing about 50 pairs of legs which will last me for some time and will go onto my future hoppers and I will use some sort of red paint to colour the knot so it resembles our hoppers a little closer.

Cheers

VB1971

Mike,

These were some of the tasty rewards thanks to the hopper patterns!

Hickory smoked brown trout

post-54218-0-85789100-1453423364_thumb.jpg

It's Hopper time in Victoria, Australia and every average fly fisherman like me looks like a pro!!!!

Even these roughly tied hoppers were a success

Cheers

VB1971

Nice work VB1971

Scott (SBPATT) posted a "mayfly emerger" pattern using a biot in the SBS section. I've looked at these flies thinking the biot looks really good, but I don't tie that small. Well, after looking at the SBS, I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what it looks like on a size 10 U202.

I don't have hackle, or even Congo Hair with me, but it was about the biot anyway.

So, biot abdomen and craft fur, brown and white.

Scott (SBPATT) posted a "mayfly emerger" pattern using a biot in the SBS section. I've looked at these flies thinking the biot looks really good, but I don't tie that small. Well, after looking at the SBS, I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what it looks like on a size 10 U202.

I don't have hackle, or even Congo Hair with me, but it was about the biot anyway.

So, biot abdomen and craft fur, brown and white.

attachicon.giffirst time biot.JPG

Mike that's cool

I might just give that one a go thanks bud

Thank you, Nick. I am really liking the biot look ... and it was much easier than I had anticipated. I think I got lucky on the direction, since I am not really sure which side is supposed to the the "notch side".

Good luck it you try it.

I got lucky on the direction, since I am not really sure which side is supposed to the the "notch side".

Mike,

Nice looking fly; that turned out really well. It's easy to find the "notch" - pull, don't cut the biot off the quill and you'll see a pronounced notch on one side

IMG_3382_zpsomk0rlqj.jpgTie it in on the hook facing down, and when you wind it, you'll get the ribbed effect. Do it the other way and the body will be smooth. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Scott

The notch is where the arrow is pointing? Then "down" when tying in, is actually down, and not towards the hook.

Got my clear straws in and tied it on a TMC 811S #6

12513603_10153174233842003_3979812505755

Kimo

That's totally strawsome Kimo !!