Fly Tying
essequamvideri

teaching fly tying

My main point is that you can't rely on "experts" to tell you how to do anything.

You're the only one throwing that word around. There's a class, you can choose to participate, observe, or you can do the whole resentful child routine. We've never had one of those. Class is next Saturday at 1pm. It's free, all materials are provided. 1231 E. New Haven Dr. Melbourne.
I didnt realize you were in Melbourne, when you said rocks and jetty I assume you were up north, I may be able to make it over your way sometime soon, what you catching this time of year over there?

My main point is that you can't rely on "experts" to tell you how to do anything.

You're the only one throwing that word around. There's a class, you can choose to participate, observe, or you can do the whole resentful child routine. We've never had one of those. Class is next Saturday at 1pm. It's free, all materials are provided. 1231 E. New Haven Dr. Melbourne.
I didnt realize you were in Melbourne, when you said rocks and jetty I assume you were up north, I may be able to make it over your way sometime soon, what you catching this time of year over there?

And I always have a spare rig.

I get a white screen every time I try to post pics, not sure what that's about. Snook and trout mostly. Usually the trout are pretty big (6-9lbs), but this year they're running small with just a few fish in the 5lb class. Snook are pretty healthy right now, they get big enough to break gear.

I have to agree with the many here, the patterns themselves are not that important. Any pattern that covers the techniques being taught is perfect for the task. Techniques and thread control are some of the most basic and most important parts to fly tying. A solid bit of information on selecting the proper materials really help both newcomer and novice alike. But I think the most important thing for those attending the classes is to keep the atmosphere of learning light and fun, sometimes we as fly tiers get to serious about our craft and make it less appealing to new comers

heres an idea and its just that. an idea

follow the tying progression in charlies book

1390.Jpg

week 1 - tools, hook & thread, attachment techniques

week 2 - dubbing, brassie, black beauty, rs2, hares ear, pheasant tail

week 3 - hackle - beadhead prince, copper john, wooly bugger

week 4 - hair selection, elk hair caddis, stimulator

week 5 - adams, rusty spinner, parachute bwo

week 6 - comparadun, royal wulff, humpy

Depends on type of fish most commonly sought in your area. My area is very seasonal.

Winter early spring its all about trout.

Spring to mid-summer sunfish or salt

Mid-summer through hotter than hell

Salts about the only full time ticket

End of hotter then he'll to early winter back to sunfish and salt.

I usually do common patterns that cover one or more of common fishing at the time.

But when I do classes they are just one offs not a set time period. Just one class for two hours and I try to get 3-5 flies tied.

Pick five top instructors and give them a subject (As was done here) and you'll get five different ways to teach the same information. None right or wrong, just different.

My main point is that you can't rely on "experts" to tell you how to do anything. All you can do is take it ALL in, and decide for yourself how YOU will do it.

My favorite quote, "Good judgement is the result of experience, which is usually the result of bad judgement."

I agree with the above. However when using a short written communication as a forum post. It is not possible to put forward all information on how to teach. You might be aware, that there are classes and schools which main focus is on teaching teaching.

Get the input. Do bad judgement (get experience) and do better next time.

First you crawl, then you walk.

And for some they get stubborn and seems like they reversed to crawling... ;-)

Pick five top instructors and give them a subject (As was done here) and you'll get five different ways to teach the same information. None right or wrong, just different.

My main point is that you can't rely on "experts" to tell you how to do anything. All you can do is take it ALL in, and decide for yourself how YOU will do it.

My favorite quote, "Good judgement is the result of experience, which is usually the result of bad judgement."

I agree with the above. However when using a short written communication as a forum post. It is not possible to put forward all information on how to teach. You might be aware, that there are classes and schools which main focus is on teaching teaching.

Get the input. Do bad judgement (get experience) and do better next time.

First you crawl, then you walk.

And for some they get stubborn and seems like they reversed to crawling... ;-)

Dayumn then you squirm. 😝😁

This is a huge amount of help. I had not thought of focusing on the technique. I can see how that will work, i.e. working on a technique, cutting it off, repeat, then end up with a completed fly at the end of class. Then build off of that first fly to progress onto the next technique.

As for type of fishing here; trout (brookies and browns), salmon and touge in the spring, bass and pan fish in the summer, a combination of everything in the fall. Although last year I caught a fess of Fall Fish in the spring, that was unique.

Thanks to everyone who was willing to give their input. I do appreciate it.

Michael

I remember my first tying class focused half the class on entomology, which I found really helpful. It was great to talk about the fishing aspects and relevance along with the tying techniques.

another resource is scott cesari's fly tying

http://www.scottcesariflytying.com/resources/beginner-fly-tying-class/part-1-tools-primer/

i just cannot envision a bunch of newbie tyers sitting down at a vise and tying a wooly bugger as their first fly without even knowing what the hell are all the tools are for and why we do this and why we do that

I think I found this through the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF), but I've found this website immensely helpful in designing fly-tying courses and explaining concepts to those interested in fly tying. It's been an invaluable resource.

i just cannot envision a bunch of newbie tyers sitting down at a vise and tying a wooly bugger as their first fly without even knowing what the hell are all the tools are for and why we do this and why we do that

The idea is they have a fly at the end of each class. You not only need to know the technique of putting thread on the hook you also need to experience what happens when materials are applied. Techniques of using a soft loop or holding the materials to side and letting the thread pull it to the top of hook.

Tool basics are covered in the first part of the first day. They put their hands on them, learn the feel. Has to the why's and what for, that is more than covered in the next 5 classes. But you cover what is needed for that wooly bugger.

I believe in teaching what is needed for what is at hand and build on that through out. Everyone has their own method to the madness.