Fly Tying
Triplef

Renzetti . . . absolutely! But which one?

renzetti%20notch_zps5oib41vp.jpg

the machined notch on the stem was on my 1980's version of the traveler and was used for a pedestal application. the retaining screw on the pedestal would go in the notch and prevent the pedestal from falling off when lifted

the pedestal does not appear to be renzetti

the brass object that positions the thread rest could be a later version but my 1980's version was aluminum as shown below

my 80's renzetti looked like this

s-l1600.jpg

That is exactly what my other Renzetti Traveler looks like! Exactly! I purchased mine in about 2000.

The Traveler Series vises was first introduced in 1988

thats when i got my first one

"No box" should tell you something. It is either a display model or a trade-in. Andy Renzetti should certainly know what all he's made in the past, and, having met the gentleman several times, I'm sure he would own up to prototype base, if he had made one.

No, I agree, that's it's after market. Lots of people have looked for more stable bases for their entry level vises. The Traveler was always a light weight vise designed for occasional use. In fact, I think some of the early versions were C-clamp vises with no base, so for the dealer to add an after market base would be perfectly acceptable.

Just as an aside ... no folding knife is worth $480.00 or more !!!

Unless you find yourself in a knife fight and realize you forgot your knife!

The pictures of the vise show a cam lever, which wasn't introduced until fairly recently, so it's either a prototype or someone added the cam lever.

The Traveler wasn't introduced until 1988, as has been stated.

I didn't say I don't carry knives. I ALWAYS have at least one on me One is always a clip-on, folding pocket knife. But I won't even spend $50.00 on a folder, let alone close to $500.

You have a "Frankenzetti". Everything but the base is OEM. My 1st Renzetti was the presentation model (no numbers back then) from the early 80's and was purchased with the stock C-Clamp. I quickly went out and got the Renzetti base and additional jaws (for saltwater). Both items were relatively expensive. I think phg hit the nail on the head when he suggested that this was simply customized with a less expensive base.

I didn't say I don't carry knives. I ALWAYS have at least one on me One is always a clip-on, folding pocket knife. But I won't even spend $50.00 on a folder, let alone close to $500.

I think everyone implied as much... You don't even buy normal tying thread!!! ;)

I think everyone implied as much... You don't even buy normal tying thread!!! wink.png

And darn proud of it !!!

Actually, I've broken down a couple of times. While in Illinois, I was going to a tying night at Dupage Fly Fishing Co., I decided to buy a spool. So, I now have one orange and one black spool.

I think everyone implied as much... You don't even buy normal tying thread!!! wink.png

And darn proud of it !!!

Actually, I've broken down a couple of times. While in Illinois, I was going to a tying night at Dupage Fly Fishing Co., I decided to buy a spool. So, I now have one orange and one black spool.

You better stand down!!! This could get out of control.

I know !!! ... I actually put a freakin' PEG BOARD on the wall in my tying area. Of course, it's also my "everything-but-woodworking" area, so a lot of what's on the board isn't fly tying material, but still ...

I used to say I figured my total outlay, to date, was around $300.00. I think I might have to start stating it at, "around $350.00."

wacko.png

Hahaha!! Well . . . maybe so! But I have one I paid $400 for and have been offered a firm $1,000! Must be worth it to some people!! It's a flyfishing one too!