Fly Tying

For me it's a toss up between the Red Squirrel nymph in lots of variations and a soft hackle Pheasant Tail with ice dub thorax. But don't limit yourself - when the Hendricksons are coming off, for instance, you really want to have a Hendrickson nymph to tie on.

A very short list of nymphs I wouldn't be without would also include #14-16 Higa's SOS, Frenchie and Pheasant Tails, particularly micro Pheasant Tails in #18 and 20, which make very versatile dry fly droppers.

I don't fish for trout a lot, but when I have, I've relied on nymphs heavily. However, for the trout fishing I've done never found many specific patterns to be "best". The more popular patterns such as PT's & Hare's Ear's have always served me well, but frankly most any pattern that I've tried that was "buggy" in it's design often produced well. I call them generic patterns that may imitate many things.

I've done very well with patterns tied in black, black/olive shades, and various olive shades. Sometimes the Hare's Ear tan color has been good & sometimes brown. Otherwise, size seemed to matter more than anything, and 12 was always a good bet. smile.png

Hare's Ears in a variety of sizes, brown, olive, and black.

Pheasant tails in a variety of sizes.

Zug Bugs in 10 and 8.

Those are my must haves, but I carry lots of others just in case!