Fly Tying

I absolutely love the life palmered marabou produces in a pattern, but I can't seem to figure out how to downsize it for smaller trout jigs. Has anyone found a good way to create a palmered marabou micro jig? I know a lot of people change material when tying a smaller hook but for some reason the local trout go bonkers for marabou. I haven't had any success with palmered marabou I'm guessing due to the ridiculous length it creates off the hook shank. Directly tying the marabou to the hook gives me the length I want but I have a feeling a palmered marabou jig would turn bad days into productive days and good days into things of legend and lore. Thanks for any help you can provide!!!!

With my memory and the several places I order from? Most likely it was JS Stockards since I do a lot of business with them.

ostrich herl or rhea feathers

put regular marabou in a split thread loop or a dubbing loop = free

put the fluff from the base of feathers (the fluff youre gonna throw away anyway) in a split thread loop or a dubbing loop = free

small marabou feathers exist on most bird skins such as Hungarian partridge etc

Yes on smaller flies you can pluck the fibers off the shaft of the marabou and place them in a thread loop ( just adding to what flytire mentioned in his list). And you can always tear the marabou shorter in your fingers too.

But me personally, I change to rabbit fibers or to artificial hairs, mostly craft fur for small streamer patterns.. I may or may not use the thread loop/brush. The standard Marabou fibers are proportionately too large IMO for the small streamers I tie anyway.

My first thought would be a dubbing loop, as flytire said. A Magic Tool would probably help with that. Me, personally, I'd just use Arctic Fox instead because it's a good option and less work on my part.

What's an aftershaft feather? That little fuzzy thing that sticks off the bottom of some feathers?

For smaller flies, don't use the whole marabou feather.

Pull off as many barbs as you need and wrap them. By adjusting the number of barbs, adding a rib and twisting the barbs, you can tie many different body shapes.