Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bubbadaman

a great big hello from PA!! Bass poppers help???

Hello everyone, thanks for adding me! I am looking forward to becoming a regular visitor with you all. My fav species is Bass. I have been teaching myself to fly fish since May '16. I have really enjoyed TRYING to tie Bass poppers. They look easy enough to tie, but when I go to it...whew, what a trial. I have learned (at least I think I have learned...lol) a trick. When tying foam poppers using flip-flop foam, that after I wrap the hook with thread, I go right into tying the material on, then put the glue on the wrap. Once that is done, then I slide the foam on over top of the fresh super glue. Then I will use a Sharpie marker to put eyes on and a stripe or two. Then I use a leather threading needle to pull thin rubber bands through the foam and cut them off to resemble the legs.

These poppers have worked, but they are NOT pretty, or long-lasting. It seems that they also want to sink under the water after a few dozen casts.

Snyder County, Pa

They don't need to be pretty to catch fish. Not bad, but could use some refinement. The materials you're using, likely even the foam is absorbing water after awhile & that's why they start to sink. You can either go to a different foam, or other body, or just change poppers more often, which means you need to make more of them.

Personally I like a wider & shorter tail. This is about proportion. I also gave up on threading legs thru the body many years ago, as I damaged a lot of bodies & that extra hole may be contributing to your sinking issue. I'm not a fan of the leg material you're using (rubber band?) either as it seems too thick for your popper size. I generally use jig skirt material, either round rubber or silicone, and I tie them in behind the body. Much easier to do, & when punching holes thru the body not always easy to get the holes straight across so there's good balance from one side to the other. Too far off & the popper might sit cocked to one side or cause it to roll.

Here's a popper I made several months ago. It's using a ready made soft foam body I had purchased, but the general idea for making poppers is the same. I also prefer epoxy to mount the body on the hook & do that before tying on the rest of the materials. Super glues do work, but are not really water proof and I try to make them as durable as I can. However, I always start with a good thread base along the hook shank. By doing as I do it, I can make a lot of bodies mounted on hooks & tie them later as I have time or inclination.

This particular popper is on a offset worm hook, Owner brand in a 1/0 size if I recall correctly. Th offset acts like the kink on a kink shank popper hook & helps keep the body from ever rotating. It's a little tricky getting the hook positioned correctly, but works. It also causes the hook point to be positioned a bit lower & at an upwards angle, which I like as I feel it improves my hook up ratio. Notice also where the hook point is relative to the back end of the body. This hook has plenty of gap & is far enough back so fish (bass mostly) will get the hook in their mouth.

Take note of the proportions. Length of the tail & width of the tail feathers & such and how & where I added the legs. There's a bit of marabou to in the tail, which is another possible way to make them. I make most of mine with splayed out feather tails as I like how they "kick" when retrieved. Not the only way to make a popper, but for me it's worked well. I usually use a black hackle collar as black works great with any color body I choose. I use strung saddle or neck hackle for the collar & often leave some of the fluffy, marabou looking fibers as you see in the pics.

The eyes I used can be found in many crafts stores. They have a stem on the back, and I cut it a little short, punch a hole in the foam & glue the eye in place, which seals the hole. I don't usually punch the hole completely thru the body. Isn't necessary but I like how eyes look.

BTW, welcome to these forums! biggrin.png

100_5626_zpsqwra2bsw.jpg

100_5627_zpsrnwm2nlp.jpg

Welcome. Search "gurglers." Flip flops are a PIA for larger poppers. Great for pannies not so great for larger poppers. Gurglers are cheap and easy to tie and are equally effective.

Welcome to the site. Your popper looks great. I think you need to find some smaller thickness rubber bands, as that is what I think is sinking your flies.

I tie flip flop foam flies ... pretty much the way you describe. But I skewer the bodies on a large needle and sew in the legs before gluing to the hook.

I don't know what the difference is, but I've had one of these on until the foam was ripped in half and it still floated. When the foam gets destroyed, I peel off the torn body and put a new body on the hook.

Materials and instructions ...

"Chell's reusuable foam popper."

http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=987655986&Itemid=53

"Chell's fluffy tail popper."

http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=987656013&Itemid=53

I'll also give a vote for Gurglers if you decide to go with tying them. I like poppers, but Gurglers are certainly another productive option and cheaper to make. smile.png