Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Clouser

Hey guys, a while back I made a video about a Clouser minnow that some said was tied incorrectly. I finally got around to tying it the way some suggest is the only way to tie a Clouser, the original way it was tied. Tell me if I did it correctly, as this is the only way I know how to tie the original. I do tie it this way occasionally, but find that it takes longer to tie then the way I do it, so for making a dozen in a row for fishing, I usually tie the other way, as fish don't really care the difference. But yeah... Here it is, let me know whatcha think.

post-58316-0-84049600-1474903257_thumb.png

I kept trying to turn that into a video.biggrin.png biggrin.png Yes, that is a nice clouser. Yes, you are right that fish don't seem to mind if a classic pattern is tied wrong. If the colors and action of the fly is duplicated it will catch fish...and there are days having Bob Clouser on the bank tying you flies isn't going to get a fish for you.

A little more flash should help turn the volume up a bit.

Yeah, there are two strands doubled over, so 4 strands of flash. I usually tie with 4-5 strands doubled over, however last time I did it "wrong" one of the complaints was that I added too much flash. Haha. Just trying to make everyone happy which is pretty much an impossibility. Haha. But yes, I agree that more flash is better. In fact I just tied a fly yesterday that is basically all flash with a small dubbing head (with flashy dubbing mixed in). I'm with you 100% about the flash thing.

I kept trying to turn that into a video.biggrin.png biggrin.png Yes, that is a nice clouser. Yes, you are right that fish don't seem to mind if a classic pattern is tied wrong. If the colors and action of the fly is duplicated it will catch fish...and there are days having Bob Clouser on the bank tying you flies isn't going to get a fish for you.

Lol yeah, I actually made a video about this, however it's not uploaded yet. Will be this coming Friday like all my videos. However this forum is saturated with Clouser instructional videos, so I'm not sure I want to post it.

As for tying it original way, or variant ways, it only matters when people prefer one way or the other. Like I said, my variant way is quicker for me, so I tie them for when I fish. However I do like the look of this way much better, it's a prettier fly. So when I have time to spend extra time, I do like to tie this one. Especially if I know where I'm going I won't loose the fly as much. It hurts too much too loose something that takes more time ya know? Haha.

I think having bob tie them for me on the bank won't hurt my chances though! Hahaha. He for sure will tie a better looking fly, and the confidence boost of knowing Mr Clouser himself tied the fly will probably add a bit more to my fishing game! Haha.

Three strands of flash doubled over should increase your hook ups by 50% or more. Same if using Krystal flash. Can't seem to be able to view ur video.

Tight lines,

Mogup

3 strands of flash doubled over should increase your hook upwards to 50% or more. Same if using Krystal flash. Can't seem to be able to view ur video.

Tight lines,

Mogup

It's a picture, not a video....

Thanks for the info. So adding one more strand huh? I personally love more flash, like I said above, I was told by a few other people that "it's not a Clouser if it had more than 2". I don't subscribe to their thinking, just find it funny how strict some are with "exacts" on these. I agree, 3 or even 4 strands rather than 2 would be better. I usually tie with 4.

3 strands of flash doubled over should increase your hook upwards to 50% or more. Same if using Krystal flash. Can't seem to be able to view ur video.

Tight lines,

Mogup

Thanks for the info. So adding one more strand huh? I personally love more flash, like I said above, I was told by a few other people that "it's not a Clouser if it had more than 2". I don't subscribe to their thinking, just find it funny how strict some are with "exacts" on these. I agree, 3 or even 4 strands rather than 2 would be better. I usually tie with 4.

Three strands doubled over to make six individual strands. No more no less !

Tight lines,

Mogup

Three strands doubled over to make six individual strands. No more no less !

I tied up some Clousers one time using Lite Brite. They were silver/white and olive/white. didn't have to worry if I had enough flash.

There was so much movement in those from the water I had smallmouth pick them up just setting on the bottom in the riffles.

Lol Pretty funny McFly ! I've been out tongued and cheeked !

Lol. Just having a little fun, I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll stick to 3. Thanks for the help