Fly Tying
Chia

Thread from hobby lobby

I thought this might be the best place for this post. I am getting low on thread and was wondering what strong thread for streamers I could use from hobby lobby. I live too far from a shop and wanted to get some Monday instead of ordering. I am very hard on my thread so it needs to be strong.

For streamers any nylon or polyester thread should work as long as it has the strength you need.

This is a strong nylon thread.I have used it for other things and it is pretty strong.Never used it for fly tying but i would not hesitate to try it if i needed too.You may have to spool it onto a reg size thread spool to fit your bobbin.Not sure of the colors available.I bought black.This white can be colored with sharpies.You are using it for streamers so the thickness may not be as important as it would be on a small fly.http://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Thread/Extra-Strong-Bonded-Nylon-Upholstery-Thread/p/BT900651

1254234%5B5%5D.jpg

Hi Chia,

Gudebrod makes a good thread you can use for fly tying but you'll probably have to re-spool it. We've found a round dowel trimmed with a pocket knife to snugly fit in the hole of the bobbin mounted in an electric drill is a good way to re-spool thread. Take care & ...

If you are limited to ONLY Hobby Lobby, then this might be a good option. Its a poly thread that is 3000 yards for 3.50. That works out to .11 a hundred yard spool. Of course you will have to re-spool it, but all the other threads from Hobby Lobby will have to be re-spooled as well. The only color you need to start with would be white. You can touch up the heads with a marker to make them blend into your patterns.

"Thin" is a very retaliative term in threads. What is called a thin sewing thread will be thicker than all but the heaviest tying threads.

There are threads from craft stores that will make good tying thread. I use Gutermann Woolly Nylon from Joann Fabrics for most of my larger streamers. Its a poly "serger" thread very much like uni streatch. Lays flat, and is strong enough for me to spin deer hair. I NEVER shop these craft stores without a 50% off coupon, but even at the retail cost of $7.99 for a 1000 yards, that about 80 cents for a hundred hard spool.

Gutermann Skala is another thread that I use for most of my trout and smaller patterns. It comes in 3 sizes. Skala 200 has a TEX number of 15 which equates to a denier of 180. Skala 240 has a TEX number of 12 or a 108 denier. The Skala 360 has a TEX of 8 or 72 denier. Multiply TEX by 9 to get deniers. The Skala 200 and 240 are sold by Oshman Brothers (the US distributor,) for $18.25 in a 11,000 yard spool. The 360 comes in a 5470 yard spool for $8.25. These costs work out to be less than 20 cents per hundred yards. Oshman brothers does have a minimum purchase, which is about 25.00.

One last option you can use for streamers is VERY fine mono-filament. Two or 4# is plenty. This works best when using synthetic fibers, or hair that is NOT hollow. Mono can cut right through deer hair.

The threads above are the only threads I use any more, and I have yet to use up a single spool of the Skala threads. I have purchased about a dozen spools of the Woolly Nylon, I only buy white, and use markers to color it.

Of course for overnight, you will be limited to what you can get locally, but these threads I listed are well worth investigating, and trying.

great info for end-of-the-world scenarios, but at least up until tomorrow, "real" fly tying thread is fairly cheap and proven to be the best tool for the job. Chia I understand the situation of running low on a material you need, but the contingency is to buy enough to have a couple of spare spools and re-order before you get to the crisis point.