Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joshpilon08

dry flies

On the tying side, almost all dry flies can be tied with one pass each way along the hook shank. There is never any need to keep running the thread back and forward along the hook shank. Plan what you are doing and cut out the waste of effort and material. Also, as always, fly tying is like computing... Garbage in garbage out! The best flies can only be tied with the best materials.

Having watched a lot of fly tying videos, I have come to the conclusion that most tiers believe that, to take turns of thread off is the worst kind of blasphemy. It is not. If something is not right take the turns off and do it again, Right this time. If your thread is in your way when you manipulate a material take a couple of open turns to park your thread by the eye, then take them off when you continue. If you tie in a material, then pull it out by accident, take off the turns you used to tie it in before tying in again. Those turns are loose. Tight wraps over loose wraps slip. Believe me, no bolt of lightning will fall on you from the sky if you take wraps of thread off. There really is no commandment stating "Thou shalt never remove a wrap of thread from thy fly".

Cheers,

C.

Good stuff.

Absolutely good stuff, very well said by everyone. I do have to say I really appreciate everyone commenting on probably one of the most redundant topics. Your time is very well appreciated

If you can learn to master parachutes, comparaduns/sparkle dun, and some Catskill ties you can cover your bases pretty good for mayflies

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/easy-to-tie-easy-on-the-eye-dry-fly/

Something from my blog for tying an easier dry fly when getting down to the <20 sized hooks. This can also be useful for >20 sized hooks. Also makes them far easier to fish. The pattern is based on a BWO but can be translated into any parachute pattern.

Nice tutorial Bo.

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/easy-to-tie-easy-on-the-eye-dry-fly/

Something from my blog for tying an easier dry fly when getting down to the <20 sized hooks. This can also be useful for >20 sized hooks. Also makes them far easier to fish. The pattern is based on a BWO but can be translated into any parachute pattern.

Nice tutorial Bo.

Thanks!

One thing to add to the already great advice given but I feel has been missed and is of the most important. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE QUALITY OF YOUR HACKLE! Not saying to go spend a fortune, but please do yourself a favor and do not try to learn to tie dry flies on poor quality capes. You don't have to go to your shop and buy all gold medal or number 1 capes to achieve great flies. But investing in some of the well known names of hackle, maybe some of their #2 grades or equivalent will go along way in your dry flies turning out well and will ease the process of learning technique. Most advanced tyers have the brands they prefer and may feel one is the best for many reasons. That part will be up to you to determine at a later date. I personally bounce between hackle farms depending on what I want the hackle for. A few that are known for great quality though would be Collins, Whiting, And Metz. Spend some time learning about dry fly hackle and how to look at a cape to get what you want as well.

One thing to add to the already great advice given but I feel has been missed and is of the most important. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE QUALITY OF YOUR HACKLE! Not saying to go spend a fortune, but please do yourself a favor and do not try to learn to tie dry flies on poor quality capes. You don't have to go to your shop and buy all gold medal or number 1 capes to achieve great flies. But investing in some of the well known names of hackle, maybe some of their #2 grades or equivalent will go along way in your dry flies turning out well and will ease the process of learning technique. Most advanced tyers have the brands they prefer and may feel one is the best for many reasons. That part will be up to you to determine at a later date. I personally bounce between hackle farms depending on what I want the hackle for. A few that are known for great quality though would be Collins, Whiting, And Metz. Spend some time learning about dry fly hackle and how to look at a cape to get what you want as well.

this is GREAT advice!

Follow the good advice advanced so far regarding closely observing techniques and materials used in videos.

And you might want to try this tip in approaching your own independent work on new patterns..

Do a half dozen of a given pattern and as you go along identify flaws in each to correct and then make each subsequent one better than the last. When one is "right" duplicate it another half dozen times before going on to a new pattern. Then do it all again from scratch with hooks two sizes smaller. You will be on your way to consistently producing that fly and others of the same profile as your muscle memory and self critical judgement mature,

Rocco