Fly Tying
Brodrash

Your favorite fly boxes

Ha the joys o' boxes. From the cheap and nasty, to the sublime.There is something for everyone. You have the choice between ventilated or waterproof. This is an important decision facing the angler. What do you want to happen when you inevitably drop it into the water? If it is ventilated your box will sink beyond the knowledge of man. Whereas the waterproof ones will drift away on the current, disappearing into the distance never to be seen again. I've had both happen, and haven't decided on a preference yet.

I've usually got an eye out for a bargain box. It is handy to have a few around and put a customers order in a box from time to time, if the order is large enough to warrant it. My current rake of boxes include a C&F along side some knock offs of them. I really can't see the difference that makes the C&F boxes worth 3 times the price. I like the Richard Wheatly ones with the compartments for dry flies. Over the years there have been a number of copies made, These copies are often better than the originals. The metal by the hinges on the originals is quite weak, the lids tend to bend there. Many of the copies have a smaller window on the compartments, sometimes fish shaped. This gives extra strength, stopping the bending that plagues modern Wheatly ones.

One friend of mine posses the not uncommon C chromosome; he is a collector. I am so glad I am not. Recently he has discovered the old Hardy Neroda fly boxes. For what he has spent on them I could make the trip I have wanted to, to the Catskills. That would be a better use for the fortune he has spent. He has something like 40 odd of them. When I suggested he put flies in them, and went fishing he looked at me as if I were mad. He is after a glass case to imprison them in. One he has doesn't have the mark in the base. Sometimes he just sits and dreams about it being a prototype sent to Hardys as a sample. Collectors can be rather strange. Why would anyone pay £80+ for a fly box they never intend to use?

There is another extreme to this. I know someone who uses 3 old 35mm film canisters to house his flies for a day's fishing. He actually has about 6 of them, and takes the ones that will be appropriate for the day with him. He knows his stretch of river very well. He was once the river keeper. His knowledge of the river is such that he can fish with only 3 patterns. That is altogether far too few for me.

If there is one box I would have liked to get my hands on it was advertised in Trout and Salmon magazine many years ago. Some time around 1900 a Russian ship had sunk. On this ship were a load of tanned pig skins. Someone had got hold of these somehow, and made moulded leather fly boxes from them. They were very nice, but way beyond the reach of my wallet. It looks like I'll just keep going with the ones I have for now, they are never full anyway. It is a case of the cobblers kids...

Cheers,

C.

I like the clear boxes. That way I can look at the box to see what is inside with out having to take it out and open it up.

Now I may change my mind if I could talk the wife into getting me some of those nice Wheatly boxes for Christmas. But I have the feeling I will be using my el cheapo clear boxes for many years to come.

My favorite fly boxes are the Tacky Boxes. I get mine from Orvis when I use the $25 off a $50 purchase. Can get 2 for one that way.

I like fly boxes from Myran, DeWitt, C&F, Angler's Image and what mostly fills up these Images...

ESP4xjR.jpg

,,,because I prefer nice things that may be passed on down...

PT/TB

When i go out, I normally just carry a tacky tube on a retractor and a glass baby food jar in my pocket. They both hold more flies and more selection than i typically need. When i go to the gulf though, I take the cliff bugger beast.

Has anyone on here tried the fishpond sushi roll for streamers? Kind of interested in one but would like to hear a first hand experience.

Ordering one this month, will let you know. They look great but I have yet to see one up close still so we'll see.

This one (five slot Plano) because it's small and fits in a shirt pocket and when I'm carrying it it's because walking the beach looking for snook (phew)

post-52832-0-58515400-1481044766_thumb.jpg

Anybody else own Perrine Aluminum Fly Boxes? I have two, I didn't realize the company no longer exists.

I've got a few...they're...interesting. Like they had the potential to be really great, but they didn't get quite enough product development.

Their clip boxes are my favorite from their lineup.