Fly Tying
Jpm5107

Making your own dubbing

Hey everyone,

I had a question about making your own dubbing. Basically, how do you go about doing so?

I've never attempted it before and would like any tips on doing so. I would like to make dubbing for nymphs, like the hair's ear pattern and other standard small nymphs. I already have a coffee grinder and I have a rabbit pelt (body section without mask/ears) and a fox squirrel pelt from this past winter. Any tips on how to use these furs would be great.

Thanks!

Jpm

Hey everyone,

I had a question about making your own dubbing. Basically, how do you go about doing so?

I've never attempted it before and would like any tips on doing so. I would like to make dubbing for nymphs, like the hair's ear pattern and other standard small nymphs. I already have a coffee grinder and I have a rabbit pelt (body section without mask/ears) and a fox squirrel pelt from this past winter. Any tips on how to use these furs would be great.

Thanks!

Jpm

Welcome to the forum, help is on the way, post pictures of fish and fly efforts when you get rolling here.

I have used the dubbing blender-coffee grinder to customize coloration of commercial products. Regretfully, can't help much on use of critter fur and hair, but it should not be too long before others come to the rescue here.

The trick with the natural furs is to first investigate them. You are looking for predominately different color and texture zones. Don't just look at the outside but at the underfur as well. Many times the underfur will be a different color. After identifying what you have, decide what you want. Do you want fine, coarse or a mix for your dubbing? What color shades do you want? You can be limited to color with natural material but often can get different shades with the same material by mixing what you have. I usually aim to get sets in 3's. a combination of fine, medium and coarse as well as as dark as I can, a medium shade and as light a shade as I can. Depending n the fur you may need to decide how long you want the fibers as well. For short fur, I like to use a dubbing rake to get the underfur out or I'll use a battery operated beard razor to shave the material off the hide. For longer furs you can trim to length with scissors. Keep notes of what you used and where it came from (face, back, belly etc.). So you can replicate it. My favorite is a hare's mask. I keep a multi container of dubbing mixes showing 8 different distinct dubbing mixes from one mask that I show people at shows. It is always a hit. I show 8 but could get more from one mask. Once you get your natural mixes you can start adding small pieces of Antron etc to them. It's fun and whole new world in the fly tying universe to explore.

The Hare's mask offers a plethora of areas for creating different colors of dubbing along with consistency of the dubbing - much more so than a rabbit pelt. The best description of those areas and usage comes from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Tying-Fishing-Soft-Hackled-Nymphs-Allen/dp/1571884033

This thread, from the Classic Fly Rod Forum. will provide an idea of what may be obtained from a bunny:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=102214

Bookmark this link, it will provide a wealth of information on dubbing:

https://thelimpcobra.com/2013/01/08/fly-tying-a-complete-dubbing-techniques-tutorial/

PT/TB

Never used natural furs to make dubbing. For yarns I make small amounts using two pet brushes to mix it up.

Keep track of what I use each time to make sure I can duplicate it.

Rick