Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

I've shown a few of these here.... since we're pretty much over-run by them in the backcountry of the Everglades... 

aYxrVSd.jpg

nice juvenile goliath grouper from a week ago - and they're only babies (under 50 pounds) - the fully grown version can get up 600lbs and larger...

Mostly we target them with live bait or cut bait on fairly stout tackle.  Recently we've been using lures but the lure itself needs to be pretty strong... Here's a pic of the lure we used that day.. 

13jehGO.jpg

Although the hook bent out it did hold the fish until we were able to bring it to hand - then carefully release it.  The lure?  A DOA Baitbuster - with their "tarpon hook".  Once a hook is bent out like this you can bend it back into position - but it will be much weaker than the original model... 

Still consistently catching 6 lbers in the Caloosahatchee. Thanks to dad's last cast. I went from stowing tackle boxes and rods, to net man. My son got a good one on a Texas rigged worm, and a jaguar on topwater.

79C99C26-55C6-4CCD-B227-73E49CF69F91.jpeg

1E28116B-D34E-4B43-9709-280F45676ECA.jpeg

AB47F8CD-A15F-450D-8579-03833B545128.jpeg

30F373B9-B2AE-4F02-97D1-C3FC58F574D5.jpeg

On 6/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

I've shown a few of these here.... since we're pretty much over-run by them in the backcountry of the Everglades... 

aYxrVSd.jpg

nice juvenile goliath grouper from a week ago - and they're only babies (under 50 pounds) - the fully grown version can get up 600lbs and larger...

Mostly we target them with live bait or cut bait on fairly stout tackle.  Recently we've been using lures but the lure itself needs to be pretty strong... Here's a pic of the lure we used that day.. 

13jehGO.jpg

Although the hook bent out it did hold the fish until we were able to bring it to hand - then carefully release it.  The lure?  A DOA Baitbuster - with their "tarpon hook".  Once a hook is bent out like this you can bend it back into position - but it will be much weaker than the original model... 

So, googly eyes on a baitbuster is the secret?

Shsss.... Seriously though,  a guy I know swears by them so... Easy to add to any similar lure with painted eyes (or no eyes at all...).  I use a dab of lacquer thinner on a paper towel to prep the area -then each eye is set in place using thin CA glue (Krazy Glue is all I ever use for thin CA...) then clamped down in place - one at a time.  I actually have a box full of them ready to go (the DOA Baitbuster in this instance).  I've also done well with jig and worm setups... but that's another deal entirely... 

Considering where we're using them for the goliath grouper - in dark Everglades backcountry waters (some call it "blackwater") and the fish are right on the bottom in nine to fourteen feet of water...  I doubt they ever see the eyes, but up shallow it might be a different story... Mostly they're used for big tarpon - as big as they get... as well as other big hungries like cobia or big snook... A short two to three foot leader using 60lb fluoro and you're ready to go... 

Had an opportunity to fish with my oldest/business partner. Even though there is just a couple years between these two adventures, the smile hasn’t changed. 

Michael

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

12 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Shsss.... Seriously though,  a guy I know swears by them so... Easy to add to any similar lure with painted eyes (or no eyes at all...).  I use a dab of lacquer thinner on a paper towel to prep the area -then each eye is set in place using thin CA glue (Krazy Glue is all I ever use for thin CA...) then clamped down in place - one at a time.  I actually have a box full of them ready to go (the DOA Baitbuster in this instance).  I've also done well with jig and worm setups... but that's another deal entirely... 

Considering where we're using them for the goliath grouper - in dark Everglades backcountry waters (some call it "blackwater") and the fish are right on the bottom in nine to fourteen feet of water...  I doubt they ever see the eyes, but up shallow it might be a different story... Mostly they're used for big tarpon - as big as they get... as well as other big hungries like cobia or big snook... A short two to three foot leader using 60lb fluoro and you're ready to go... 

I fish similar blackwater on the east coast in the Tomoka River. As dumb as they look, Terroreyz and Baitbusters are our go to for tarpon. I'm going to have to give the googly eyes a try.

I just won't let my buddy see them or he will think i've gone nuts...

15 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Had an opportunity to fish with my oldest/business partner. Even though there is just a couple years between these two adventures, the smile hasn’t changed. 

Michael

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

On 6/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Good stuff Capt.
Question.. what knot do you have that google eyed, bait buster tied with? 

I like it! I've shyed away from a loop when fishing 30-40lb mono because it looked too bulky and out of place. Will certainly give this a go. Thanks 

Had a company funded couple of days in key largo. Had to be there by 3, and it is a 3 hr trip from the house. I left early enough to hit a few peacock spots on the way. Caught a few on fly and seen a bunch.

Spent all day on the company boat Thursday. Most of the morning was trolling for dolphin and chasing birds. The mahi weren't cooperating so we finished the day limiting out on vermillion and yellow eye snapper. A few big porgies mixed in too. Good fun.. especially getting paid to go. The groceries I brought home ain't too bad either. 

D67D4A8B-99CB-4379-92E3-6BFA60B5F1CF.jpeg

B5331EFF-B7BD-4C98-BF15-8D1F3E7A02BA.jpeg

CCBF73F1-C608-4184-AE4A-B57FC9036D6C.jpeg

4B2E5156-1261-40CB-85C0-1136A623E9BF.jpeg

0AEFDCFE-2FBC-4088-BA24-CE63F19BB715.jpeg

We've been fishing the river for a while catching tons of fish. After a couple  slow outings, it was time to head back out on Lake Okeechobee. Had some good frog action early, then dad got a good one on a crankbait.

BD1DB395-8835-4B23-8516-F8704900EDD9.jpeg

87A0BA47-394D-48EC-8043-F9DD1B75B62A.jpeg

F417C512-A6AB-47BF-9E4D-25D2D0A20EE9.jpeg

17CD4DA3-3F7B-4AAB-B95E-FF97D7D66F4F.jpeg

8FBD096E-3C7B-4119-8EBE-8DD223EA8D4E.jpeg