Fly Tying
wanderinwalker

Bass Flies

And yes, I know that all y'all is the correct plural of that! wink.gif

Any rate, I was wondering what everybody here finds to be the most effective bugs for bass (large and smallmouth). So far I have thought up:

1) Big Hoppers

2) Muddlers

3) Clousers

4) Woolly Buggers

My friend suggests Deer Hair mice as being very effective on bucket mouths as well as being good over big trout later in the evening. What else should I add to the collection? And where is my best bet to find instructions on how to tie these things?

Thanks all,

~Nate

you might want to get a few nymphs (dragonfly damsel fly black stones ect) I personaly don't leave home w/out a few creyfish crawdad mudbug what ever you call them in your neck of the woods patterns sometimes you can get away with just buggers they pretty much imitate all your basics minnows,creyfish,sculpins, madtoms just have a variety of colors my personal favs are clousers in diff colors and sizes anyways tightlines big_fish

nothing like a popper/slider/deer hair bug on the surface of a pond late in the evening for largemouth! all the patterns you listed are a great start. for stream fishing, you have to have a crawfish pattern. If you check the fly database, "smalliehunter" has an easy crawfish pattern usiong bunny strips. woolybuggers in black and olive are great. I also carry some bunny strip leaches in olive and black. I just recently tied up some "foxee clousers" that "cornmuse" posted in the flydatabase. He raves about them for stream fishing for smallmouthes. there are several dragonfly nymphs posted in the database as well, those are great for pond fishing for bass. The bass i am holding in the picture in my profile was caught last summer on vacation in massachussetts early one evening on an olive bunny strip leech.

Mike

I lean toward soft foam poppers and sliders, some big LA Ants and Chernobyl ant style flies, Crease flies, Gurglers. Subsurface, mainly bait fish patterns tied with stuff like blended Fuzzy Fiber or blended Mirror Image. I'll carry a couple of crayfish patterns, a few very large wooly buggers, and some patterns I've come up with.

20 years ago I used to slay largemouths in Southern California on green frog poppers, crayfish patterns and black and silver wooly buggers with a small red tag by the hook eye. I cought a nice 3 pounder three years ago on a trip to Flaming Gorge Utah on a similiar wooly bugger.

Hellgrammites, Bucktail Decivers; yellow over white, light blue over white, olive over oarnge over yellow (perch). Stimulators, Bees, and dry Damsel and Dragon flies. Cougars and any other "Big" streamers.