Fly Tying

My #1 carp fly by miles:

3239F842-9A5B-4009-8174-463FD1132ED6_zps

I fish mostly shallow mud flats with feeding fish in less than 2' of water, 100% sight fishing. Familiarize yourself with the drag and drop presentation, it ain't pretty but it's very effective on carp. The best piece of advice I can tell you is don't cast until you're sure you know the fish's position/orientation. You have to get the fly close to their face (in my experience) and hitting the fish with the fly ends the game. They aren't the easiest thing to catch, but like I tell people, they don't get that big by being stupid...or anorexic.

They eat. A lot. Put a fly that roughly shows an outline of something they like to feed on in their grill and you'll hook up some.

I'm no where skilled enough to tie one of those... lol

They don't need to be pretty. You can also tie this fly in a foam version, I have done it before but never really fished it. The point is to have a buoyant articulated tail. The front half, with the lead eyes, gets the fly to fall slowly while the back half wiggles and stands upright at rest on the bottom. I have caught most of my carp on flies that sit upright at rest, some of them nearly vertical. For whatever reason, it seems to trigger or tempt them where I fish. My thought is that it probably helps make it visually stand out by not being flat on the bottom of a mud flat.

Ok I'll try that, I'm going this morning to try, if nothing, I'll tie those up (at least attempt to) and see how I do. So is black a color they like?

On mud flats where the water is really stirred up, it's the only color I use. Black has the best chance to be seen in those conditions. In cleaner water, rusts/olives/browns/tans are all good. In dirty water, any color will work as long as it's black.

"So is black a color they like"?

Well gee, lets see , he ties them in black?? Oh never mind.

Well gee, lets see , he ties them in black. Oh never mind.

Like bread, but burnt toast.

LOL ! Ya actually I think this thread has shown a few colors that work, just that fly is definitely black and claimed to work.. I bet the floating element is more important than the color actually.

Well gee, lets see , he ties them in black. Oh never mind.

Like bread, but burnt toast.

LOL ! Ya actually I think this thread has shown a few colors that work, just that fly is definitely black and claimed to work.. I bet the floating element is more important than the color actually.

I'd wholeheartedly disagree. The water is murky where I find carp feeding. That fish is not going to eat what it doesn't see. I believe they feed a lot in this environment by scent, and I don't juice my flies. No see it, no eat it. In case you want a visual on what I mean by water clarity, here you go:

DroneCarp_zps0vuozzed.jpeg

Black produces in this environment. Other colors, for me, not so much.

P4150004_zpsga4ako4q.jpg

Looks more like a paddleboard to me. If it had been black you could have seen it more clearly.

Looks more like a paddleboard to me. If it had been black you could have seen it more clearly.

I didn't look very close, you're right. Still a cool shot though.

Hahahahahah!

Hahahahahah!

Gave my ideas from Cream's fly a try. I'm DEFINITELY no Cream when it comes to tying. And even worse photographing flies. But I don't think the carp will mind. Should do the same general thing.

D8ACAE7A-3271-4697-9D31-E43A6B8F52FB_zps

Hahahahahah!

Gave my ideas from Cream's fly a try. I'm DEFINITELY no Cream when it comes to tying. And even worse photographing flies. But I don't think the carp will mind. Should do the same general thing.

D8ACAE7A-3271-4697-9D31-E43A6B8F52FB_zps

Mouse, is that articulated or extended body ? It should work.

It is articulated. I was going to use a hook on the back segment but I didn't know if that would work well or be in the way of the action.

Got one! Went today, a good 20lbs... and dumb me used a 5wt rod. Took 20 minutes to bring in.

Trying to upload a picture but it won't let me...

What fly did you get it on McFly ? That thing is like the ones I remember growing up that took bread balls.