Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
prairiedrifter

Carrie Stevens style

Hah, I found an old bottle of Pliobond in my tying case, gotta be 20 years old if a day and it's not dried up !

Noahguide

Versions 1-6.

Looking good!

Check this link out for some good pattern ideas.http://www.rareandunusual.com/dictionary.html

Fshng2 Thanks. Just what I need, more things to tie! I haven't seen a black screen in quite some time but lovely patterns to try. Think I'll try your alevin in my keel with a featherwing first!

Number 7.

post-61693-0-57792600-1508716807_thumb.jpg

Keel featherwing alevin.

More good ones #7 & Alevin #8.

What hooks are you using, they look to be either 2 or 3X?

Keel featherwing alevin.

More good ones #7 & Alevin #8.

What hooks are you using, they look to be either 2 or 3X?

Fshng2, 2xl SW largo hooks in gold. The referenced text recommended sz6 or sz8 6xl. Closest profile I could find at my local sports store was the eagle claw largo. I have to bend them back in line, but wasn't going to order specialty hooks until I ran through a couple patterns to make sure it was something I wanted to continue tying. I'll be ordering some 6xl shortly. I've used largo hooks in some of my saltwater patterns in the past. They add a wounded bait fish kick at the end of the retrieve.

Noahguide if you plan on fishing these, 2xl or 3xl are better. Although 6xl is true to the original style tying, the longer hook gives the fish a mechanical advantage to spit the hook.

To get a longer profile fly with a better fish holding advantage; a tube fly makes more sense.

Noahguide if you plan on fishing these, 2xl or 3xl are better. Although 6xl is true to the original style tying, the longer hook gives the fish a mechanical advantage to spit the hook.

To get a longer profile fly with a better fish holding advantage; a tube fly makes more sense.

Fshng2, thanks for the insight. I have some 3xl in 6 and 8 that I'll try. Also thinking about some non-heritage saltwater featherwings for red fish and speckled trout. Tube flies? That would make featherwings a gateway drug!