Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Catch Cormier

Looking for large vinyl rib - that's actually LARGE

Two decades ago, I bought a seemingly lifetime supply of large vinyl ribbing (D-shaped) that I use to tie Charlies, Prince of Tides, and certain other streamers. Well, it wasn't exactly a lifetime supply... at least for my life! I'm down to about 6 feet of the stuff.

So, no problem. I'll contact the supplier and get another batch. They don't make V-rib (or D-rib) anymore. Looking online for the stuff at fly shops all I see is the UTC brand in large.

Problem is, I've got a couple of spools of UTC large, and it's -NOT- large. In fact, I use it for large nymphs. I'd never put that stuff on any hook larger than size 6. Some of the patterns I tie with the original V-rib go up to size 2/0.

So you see my problem. It's frustrating!! Large is hard to find, and on top of that, what they call large is what I call medium.

If anyone knows where I can find the "real" large v-rib, or maybe it's called "extra large"? Haven't found x-large anywhere either. Please respond.

check out gimp or rexlace at your local hobby shop

il_570xN.424687484_lvz4.jpg

swannundaze is still available here and there

I have a few dozen yards of 25 year old vinyl ribbing. I know that at leas some of it is Swannundaze, yours for the postage if you want it.

D-Rib stopped being produced when Shane Stalcup passed away a few years ago.
He would dye, cut and package it himself. He was actually in the process of coming out with
an XX-Large and XX-Small size D-Rib right before he died. He had 3000 Yard spools
sitting in his basement.
This is sample of it.

D-Rib.jpg

Kimo

Stretch magic comes in .5mm, .7mm, 1mm, and 1.5mm in clear, black, pearl, gold or silver glitter.

And per Bimini other colors. The spools I have are 10M, but I've seen them larger as well.

Kimo, what happened to those spools? I don't need 3000 yards, but 300 yards would do! laugh.png

Good question.

That basement was a treasure chest of everything fly tying.

Unfortunately, Shane didn't share those things such as his formulas for dying.

I don't know.

Kimo