Fly Tying
Kimo

December flies from the Vise

I am not disputing the photo methods employed by Kimo, GP or anyone else above. Sandan was headed out for foam, so here is an example of the color that seems best behind my vise/vice(s). A deep or pale Robin Egg blue also produces fine with my gear. The foam is very handy if you are making a photo recipe or sbs for your use at a later date. The set up takes 1 or 2 seconds and just uses your tying lights, so fast cheap and good enough for me.

Here is a #20, Tailwater Midge, depicted first 3 photos with an I-phone 7 plus: followed by 2 shots made with an INexpensive Sony video recorder on still setting:

Hope this also qualifies for my fly of the month;0; did not trim it properly after the whip, so the teeny fibers of thread would be visible; not really- just lazy and our fish will go for it nonetheless!

The first 3 were shot with no camera rest, the other 2 with a short monopod to steady the zoom

i-7.1IMG_0226.jpg

i-7.2IMG_0231.jpg

i-7.3IMG_0231.jpg

Sony.1DSC03399.JPG

Sony.2DSC03400.JPG

post-62364-0-87710900-1514442806_thumb.jpgpost-62364-0-74173300-1514441073_thumb.jpg

#26 zebra midge. First time I go smaller than a #22. I see that this pattern usually has a bead, is it a big deal not having one? I don't have any that small. I have glass beads but it looked like an asteroid on it. I thought about just using two bobbins to put a hot spot head. Or just keep doing what I am doing and in different colors/wire

La Royal Coachman

24485950857_e45a14ce70_c.jpg
24485950247_94512f56fc_c.jpg
24485950457_9b96009273_c.jpg
Found this variation on a French Canadian site; did not know the fly was originally called the Quarter Pounder.
hook - Mustad 79580 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - hackle fluff (from the base of the feather) red
body - peacock herl/red yarn
throat - calftail dyed rust
underwing - calftail dyed yellow
wing - calftail white
Regards,
Scott

Stmflies sculptured works of art.

Tom great weave...you nailed it.

SBPatt very nice tutorial as usual.

What is the advantage of using calftail vs crinkly bucktail in patterns?

Is it because most bucktail is straight fibers?

Thanks on the weave but i did get to orvis for tubes for mysis. Hotspot won't be marker but a single strand of red running tail into body. My plans for later

Tom first I ever heard of the mysis.

I looked it up and saw a fat trout someone caught just spewing gobs of them.

What species/colors do you tie?

Eide, damn that's nice. Amazing that you can tie that much on a hook shank and still have a head smaller than a dewdrop. Looks psychedelic - might trigger some flashbacks among the Woodstock veterans.

SBPatt

What is the advantage of using calftail vs crinkly bucktail in patterns?

Is it because most bucktail is straight fibers?

The original I saw used calftail, so I tried to keep true to the pattern. Also, on a fly this small, the calftail I had seemed to be more to scale than bucktail; just personal preference.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks for the info Scott.

Oh I saw another of your excellent SBS's today...Lafontaine's "Royal Double Wing".