Fly Tying

Giant poppers...

I use a 3-D printer to make my popper bodies.

Ha! That’s great!

Did you do your own design or grabbed it ready made?

What plastic?

Went to the lake today and tried the shrimps, spoon flies, and big poppers. All casted ok on 9wt but Big Green whizzed by a lot. The Disco shrimp sunk so I added another layer of foam on it. Was really surprised the spoons really look good wobbling on the fall and no twisting.

Headed back to Ft Lauderdale in May got some big peacock bass ammo, may be bedding?. Hoping for some tarpon in the saltier canals too...

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

The foam glued together (12ga, 20ga size) was easy to shape with tiger wheel on 4" grinder and emery paper. The Solarez and powder glitter lots easier than wrapping with sparkle fabric. Actually took long strand of flash and wrapped the full length of foam an resined it. Hard to see it's the small one. Glitter dust kinda covers over it

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

I use a 3-D printer to make my popper bodies.

Ha! That’s great!

Did you do your own design or grabbed it ready made?

What plastic?

My own design. The hole for the legs is a tunnel that goes through the body and there are flat spots for the eyes. And it can be scaled up or down for most any size. These were made from PLA plastic, but can be made from several other materials too, including soft flexible plastic. I have several other designs in works for streamers, indicators, rattles, etc.

heavynets, 3d printer? that blows my mind (which is usually easy)..what kind of plastic, is like a foam or styrene like.. you can make any kind of fishing plug? that is cool, tomorrow is today. you show the one with rubber legs, did you use a needle, indicating it,s a soft plastic?

I use PLA plastic. It's a hard plastic that is heavier than water, but the popper is hollow so it floats quite well. Soft rubbery plastics are available, but I haven't used them yet. The hole for the legs is a tunnel that goes trough the body, so the popper is still waterproof even if legs are not used.

Here's a few I made a while back for cobia out of synthetic wine corks. Have yet to toss one at a fish.

7/0 hooks I think. Takes 10wt or better to fling em'.

post-44758-0-90280100-1516198938_thumb.jpg

saltybum, nice looking poppers..would you say synthetic cork floats as well as real cork. thanks..just now after looking at the size of those hooks, i would say yes..lol.

Heavynets,

That is pretty cool.

I have to ask about the CAD software. Don’t tell me you are making those contours in SketchUp...