Fly Tying
Kimo

February Flies from the Vise

Cream, you certainly have my attention! Have you fished it? Does it keel right side up? I'm assuming (and you know what they say about that) it is an articulated pattern? Inquiring minds....

Water is starting to drop her in South Florida and I'm getting real twitchy!

I tied and fished something similar a few years back, then lost touch with the pattern. Basically, I forgot about it. Yes it does keel point up. It's articulated with a 35mm shank up front and a 1/0 worm hook in the rear. Even without a weed guard, these hooks make a fly very weed-free.

Thanks Cream! An all black version ripped through the spatterdock (pads) would bet like fishing with dynamite down here. I'm thinking I may need to play with a tube version also. Buck tail, flash, and a short collar of schlappen on the worm hook? Thank you for sharing.

Mike, those mini bait fish should work like panfish crack. I've always thought that one of the staple food sources on the St Johns (at least the upper/head water area) are gambusia. Bet they would just murder baby tarpon too. Very nicely done. You stripping the barbules off of the bottom of the feather?

Thanks Cream! An all black version ripped through the spatterdock (pads) would bet like fishing with dynamite down here. I'm thinking I may need to play with a tube version also. Buck tail, flash, and a short collar of schlappen on the worm hook? Thank you for sharing.

Yep, it's about all you can get on the limited shank space of the worm hook. Bucktail, flash, and a schlappen hot collar.

Thank you. I'm hoping they prove to be effective, they're actually fun to "tie".

Could you put up a recipe ?

Richmond Flies 2018 018 2.jpg

All materials are from a mass of eyelash yarns Rich mc gave to me. The "eye" is a few threads off the black yarn, secured with UV, wrapped around and covered with another coat of UV.

Mike, those mini bait fish should work like panfish crack. I've always thought that one of the staple food sources on the St Johns (at least the upper/head water area) are gambusia. Bet they would just murder baby tarpon too. Very nicely done. You stripping the barbules off of the bottom of the feather?

Yes, I leave the stripped quill on and pull it through the eye and attach a hackle pliers to weight it down. Strip off the barbs, leaving a bit at the end for the "tail". Apply a stripe of UV down the back, pull the feather down into it and hit it with the light.

Thank you, both, for your interest!

I need a bewildered emoji and then I'd use it responding to that CDC Emerger KIMO...and most other ties you post in here!

BCT

Mahalo!