Fly Tying
ryveradair

deleted

Two opposite aspects of this to consider. You'll have to acquire all the materials and tie at least one perfect example (with pictures or video to show the steps) before you can even advertise the "fly of the month".

1) Your business follows the above warnings, and you don't get enough interest to offset your overhead. Will you stop offering the previous month's fly each new month? Will you continue to offer it until supplies run out? What do you do with left over inventory? (If it's wrapped up in a legal business inventory, you'll need to look into the local business laws of using business supplies for personal use)

2) Your business succeeds and you start getting hundreds, thousands or more customers. Keeping up with orders will, definitely, eat up time. Inventory will take up space. Suppliers of materials might not be able to keep up with you.

Go to and http://www.featheremporium.com/

E-mail them and ask how much time their "one man operation" takes.

Again, as I noted before. Good luck.

dont forget about your federal and state tax papers

you must segregate your personal fly tying supplies from your business tying supplies

get a federal tax id number so you can buy your business materials wholesale

Personally I think you would be better off putting together higher quality materials kits to sell than are currently offered and each kit would tie a greater number of different flys. If you could offer things like properly packed dry fly hackle, a few good dubbings, etc vs crap just thrown in a bag. This would also keep you from having to make and ship a bunch of kits by a certain date each week or month.

Beside the honest points made by the forum members, all experienced in this area you forget one important item. Deployment- and being deployed and trying to run a internet business from God knows where. No one will run your business like you in your absence and the word of bad customer service travels faster than good customer service. Sourcing your material wholesale may require a brick and mortar address and minimum orders, APO address's are many times not serviced by wholesalers and sometimes not event retailers.

I tied for a few fly shops when I was deployed early in my career (Seabee retired) via the mail and had to meet pattern deadlines for routine stock. Sounded like a great idea for extra money to supplement the low wage government job I had. But you work for Sam 24/7, and mission first. I was tying for shop owners and friends that where more supportive of me not for the dog eat dog world of the internet. Part time jobs when homeport are easier.

All in all I wish you the best in your decision and future, Thank You for standing the watch. Stay in touch with the forum.