Fly Tying

Stomach contents

Is Nutria a real animal? I thought Nutria was a close cousin of the Nauga, whose hyde was used for years in the furniture and car industry until the Nauga received Federal protection as an endangered species.

Nope, Vic. As Denduke's link says (I think ... I didn't read it all), nutria are real rodents about the size of a beaver, and a real pest species.

Naugas, on the other hand, were huge animals. I mean, you can buy an unbroken hide, 12 feet wide and several yards long !!! Imagine the size of the creature that has THAT much hide on it. They must've been the size of a house or larger !!!

They also must be extinct already, because I've never seen one. At those sizes, they'd be pretty easy to spot, I'd imagine.

Actually I'd seen them on the tube before but being common at this time to just one area or state most of us have never seen one live. I like the sentence in the documentary trailer, "To eat rabbit you got to get over the "cute" factor. You don't have that problem with Nurtria." Good comeback on the Nauga Mike.

Coypu (native to South America) were introduced in Oregon and Louisiana as farmed fur animals way back when(1930s) and turned loose when no profit was made. They have now spread up the Mississippi drainage into the boot heel of Mo. from the La. location and I believe all of coastal Or. now has a problem with them.

I read one story of a man laying in one spot and shooting over 700 in La. for the bounty. Only thing that might help control them would be a profitable market for the fur and the meat, the current fur prices don't make it worth the skinning and processing time an there simply has never ever been a successful bounty program on any pest wildlife.

Ironically, someone introduced beaver in the coypu's native area and now they are destroying Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, where they have a bounty on beaver and have tried getting the locals to eat beaver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_eradication_in_Tierra_del_Fuego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu

Coypu (native to South America) were introduced in Oregon and Louisiana as farmed fur animals way back when(1930s) and turned loose when no profit was made. They have now spread up the Mississippi drainage into the boot heel of Mo. from the La. location and I believe all of coastal Or. now has a problem with them.

I read one story of a man laying in one spot and shooting over 700 in La. for the bounty. Only thing that might help control them would be a profitable market for the fur and the meat, the current fur prices don't make it worth the skinning and processing time an there simply has never ever been a successful bounty program on any pest wildlife.

Ironically, someone introduced beaver in the coypu's native area and now they are destroying Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, where they have a bounty on beaver and have tried getting the locals to eat beaver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_eradication_in_Tierra_del_Fuego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu

I'm game to try eating almost anything. I'd give nutria a try but I've had beaver a couple of times fixed different ways and I would never intentionally include on in my diet. Edible maybe, didn't kill any of who ate them, but no one wanted a second helping, even those few of us who actually did finish the first slice. One of the ways cooked was baked in foil after slicing the hell out of it, stuffing all the slices with beef fat trimmed from the steaks down at the local CO-OP, then smothered in bacon, wrapped and baked. Almost edible in the slices including a lot of the beef fat but a lot of work just to try to make something edible.