Fly Tying

This thread made me laugh when I needed it. I did not know about that thread trick for splitting tails and have tied 100 of these! So glad to see this and will be using that when tying up more in the near future (it's a pattern I use often).

Not sure why, but I rarely use dubbing, and tie these more like thread midges, using darlon (or zlon or one of those "-lon" materials) instead of CDC. Might have to pickup some CDC after all.

Are you looking for tying tips/ideas or video and camera tips/ideas?

The video is good quality and having no experience with that have no tips. The fly itself, well, I never get proportions correct so I'm not one to really talk, but I hate the shape of your fly even though it is more "cigar" shaped than the "cone" or spliff shaped fly that Kimo posted. :)

McFly. It was the camera angle. Also found the video about leaving the tag attached. As it turns out it was for doing a Thread ribbing. Good did come from this Thread as at least 1 person picked up a tip/trick. Kudos bro.

This thread made me laugh when I needed it. I did not know about that thread trick for splitting tails and have tied 100 of these! So glad to see this and will be using that when tying up more in the near future (it's a pattern I use often).

Not sure why, but I rarely use dubbing, and tie these more like thread midges, using darlon (or zlon or one of those "-lon" materials) instead of CDC. Might have to pickup some CDC after all.

The video is good quality and having no experience with that have no tips. The fly itself, well, I never get proportions correct so I'm not one to really talk, but I hate the shape of your fly even though it is more "cigar" shaped than the "cone" or spliff shaped fly that Kimo posted. :)

Yeah for the super small ones (size 26 and under) i tie just thread as well. As for tips, yes on both. Always trying to improve. Glad I helped bring a technique to you, even if its not my technique. As for the Fly, I think hate might be a strong word. Lol. But good to know you feel so strongly about it. Honestly I like the cigar shape on these but, thats my preference. I do like kimos as well, and the slightly thinner body is nice.

The video is good quality and having no experience with that have no tips. The fly itself, well, I never get proportions correct so I'm not one to really talk, but I hate the shape of your fly even though it is more "cigar" shaped than the "cone" or spliff shaped fly that Kimo posted. smile.png

Yeah for the super small ones (size 26 and under) i tie just thread as well. As for tips, yes on both. Always trying to improve. Glad I helped bring a technique to you, even if its not my technique. As for the Fly, I think hate might be a strong word. Lol. But good to know you feel so strongly about it. Honestly I like the cigar shape on these but, thats my preference. I do like kimos as well, and the slightly thinner body is nice.

For clarity, please note in my post I did not tie the fly that I posted.

It was tied by the creator of the RS2, Rim Chung.

He gave me several of them and this is one of them.

Yeah, they fish!

Kimo

Well kimo, Ive seen you tie nice flies before, so it makes sense that everyone thought you tied this. Either way its a nice Fly. And Im sure you can tie them up nice as well.

Just for the record, learned two things about a fly I've tied a ton of. Thread trick for the tails and second is to use it for ribbing, at least when using dubbing. Also funny how we all have some preferences regarding one of the simplest patterns that I can think of.

put 10 tyers in a room, give them a recipe and youll get 10 different flies

none of them wrong

another split tail method. no thread required

yOwXDOe.jpg

hockley method is another

For those who have never heard of Bud Hockley of Baltimore Maryland. He devised a method of tying spit or fan tails which is both elegant and simple . This method was described in the 1985 September issue (vol 16, issue 6) of Fly Fisherman Magazine, pg 36 by none other than John Betts, the originator of microfibbets.

35684737456_bef64364b1_z.jpg

1. Tie an even number of Betts microfibbets or stiff hackle fibers in the usual manner and overwrap them with thread back to just before the start of the bend of the hook. Give yourself the room for two more wraps of thread before the bend starts.

2. Take a smooth dubbing needle and place it across the hook between the tails and the hook. Slide the needle toward the eye of the hook so that it lifts the tails off the hook. Now wrap two turns of thread around the dubbing needle and the hook as if you were going to tie the needle to the hook. This will slide the two turns of thread under the tail fibers. Gently pull the needle out as you tighten the thread, and guide the thread so that they lie around the hook, but under the tail fibers, and just in back of the thread wraps which tie the tail down.

3. Now take the dubbing needle and place it along side of the hook closest to you with the tip of the needle toward the eye of the hook. There should be a little space between the hook and needle to maneuver the needle. Now take the thread around the needle, and between the hook and the tails, as if you were going to tie the needle to the back of the hook. As you tighten the thread, gently remove the needle and guide the thread so that it comes to lie on top of the two wraps you place in step two. This wrap will further splay the tails from the back of the hook

4. Keep repeating step three to place multiple wraps of thread just at the base of the tails, between the tails and the hook, until the tails begin to fan and split. When you have built up the thread ball, use your fingers to even up and split the tails and elevate them if you want.

5. Now take the thread and take a couple of cross wraps around the tail to hold them in the final position.

There you have it. The Hockley method of split or fan tailing a fly without using a dubbing ball. BTW, Hockley uses it for stonefly nymphs as well as dry flies.