Fly Tying
DarrellP

most unrealistic fly that works

When I was a kid (way, way back when) in northern Quebec I saw a guide put a small piece of red cloth on a hook and catch a good sized pike with it.
He said he didn't like to carry around too much gear.

First fish I ever caught was a yellow perch on a bare shiny gold hook. Surprised my parents (we were at a friend's cottage and was tiny). Heck, it was even a cane pole so it might count as "fly fishing".

I'm not sure what is chartreuse, sparkly and has red eyes in nature, but smallmouth seem to like them!

J1ganGK.jpg

The only "trick" on those is I put a tail of angel hair on first and then the "lower" tail is Fly Fur (assuming eyes down and barb up in use). The angel hair is sparkly but (IMHO) too thin in the water. The fly fir is a bit boyant, MUCH cheaper, and adds some bulk to match the chenille (Estaz). I do rootbeer tail and chenille, copper eyes, and a olive "undertail" for a crayfish suggestive pattern.

Make some black ones about 3" long on size 2 Mustad 9672 (or a similar 2X heavy hook). Killer in river riffles.

I caught several decent bluegill in a buddy's Iowa farm fond as a kid on a bare hook. When that slowed down, we put pieces of grass on the hook and caught several more. In Minnesota, we ran out of worms so I got some red yarn from my grandmother and tied it on a hook in a double overhand knot. Caught several nice rock bass, bluegill, and crappie under the dock. Maybe my indirect introduction to fly fishing.

One popular way of catching Spanish mackerel is trolling a soda straw laid over the shank of a treble hook. When the macks are feeding, you can throw anything, as long as its moving fast

Most have probably already seen this, nevertheless . . .

The Farquhar flip-flop GT fly

Well, I see my mistake has been punching little cylinders out of the flip-flop and making poppers. I didn't realize I was supposed to use the whole thing to make the fly.