Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Still not fly fishing

30 fish on flies through the ice beats my overall total catch on flies through the ice by precisely 30 fish ! Live bait is all that ever worked. But we have a short safe ice season, some years it's not safe at all. Doesn't matter to me anymore though since I don't winter fish at all anymore.

OK, time for full disclosure.

We actually caught a little over forty. This is just the thirty we kept.

I didn't catch all these myself, I had a buddy with me. I usually take most of the credit for the fish caught in my fish houses because I scout the spots to fish, build the fish houses, make the rods, tie the flies, drill the holes, show them how to fish and stick a rod in their hands. I'm a retired (mostly) fishing guide and my friends depend on me for these things.

The limit here is ten fish but I was allowed to catch twenty because I have a proxy fishing license for an elderly lady that likes to eat fish but can't get out anymore. Pretty sweet deal for both her and I.

I have also been pretty successful catching large, up to 28 inch, rainbows and char on jigs that look like the local bait fish, a silver minnow about 2 1/2 inches long.

Nice haul! Do they taste good? Do you smoke 'em up, or jar them for later?

Hope you were able to have one just pan fried with a little S & P and lemon... scrumptious!

Alan :P

C.A., Yes, I mostly smoke them. We also pan fry them and we just had some in the Fry Daddy, beer batter for the family and mine were rolled in crushed pork rinds to be kito diet compliant.

C.A., Yes, I mostly smoke them. We also pan fry them and we just had some in the Fry Daddy, beer batter for the family and mine were rolled in crushed pork rinds to be kito diet compliant.

Finestkind!