Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Anyone know why...

Rio - Making fly line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=QS_lGuy3tMA

lines are coiled on machines (not the actual spool) then placed on 1/2 of the plastic spool. the other half added before boxing (shown at the end of video)

Mike was right! :) That was very interesting -- thanks for sharing it.

??? flyty ???

How does the spool coming apart allow for measuring backing?

The only way I know how to do backing is to wind the fly line on the reel, gentle tie on your backing, then reel it in until it's filled the spool to desired depth. Then remove the lines (putting them back on empty fly line spools) and reinstalling it one the reel in the proper order with the proper knots.

Separating the product spool doesn't help with this process in any way.

How do YOU do it?

I'd like to know the answer to this, too -- I've always done it the way Mike describes.

You can pull the line out of the coil very easily and fake it into figure 8s in a box or trash can or striping basket or over the back of the sofa so that the leader end can be temporarily attached to the the reel and the backing can be permanently attached to the reel end of the line- then when you pull it off the reel after measuring you again fake the backing and line into the container or sofa as appropriate and change ends to attach the backing to the reel. No tangles, no sweat. Many lines in the past were sold as just coils, maybe they still are. Trying to use the use the packing case as a spool will almost always result in tangles for me- the line was coiled and placed in the case, it was not spooled onto the case- so it spins with in the case and the outer wraps pull down past the coil etc. I don't have a new line in front of me, and it's been a while, but I believe the pull point is the center of the coil/leader end, so that the line is not binding on itself.I do almost the same faking down when I clean lines. Quicker to do than to tell about.

A demo of faking a line- done more or less in slow motion, as in real use it is done very quickly and the bights can be very long- line can feed out from top or bottom.

The answer is very simple. Its more cost effective for the manufacturers. Ease of spooling reels is in no way a consideration.

yes that was established by mikechell and verified by flytire, I think? It's not actually a spool, it's a shipping/display case, similar to the cases DVDs are sold in. Packaging to make the cardboard/paper wrapping stiffer and give it shape.

I try to put as much backing on the reel with the fly line so it won't impede the spool removal when the reel is finished. I add backing, remove the fly line from the 2 pc spool it is sold on (but not removing the ties around the fly line) I take the fly line and push it into the reel up to the backing to get a sense if I have added enough backing. It is a judgement call but with very little practice, you will have a good feel without having to pull all the line and backing off the reel. One caution though, the older reels (without an exposed spool are only filled to the edge of the spool, not the edge of the reel)M