Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Non Fly fishing tackle

Shhhhh. Spinning gear. Say it quietly.

Not sure where the non fly related section went so I'll try here.

Has anyone any experience of the Penn clash or slammer 3. Is the blurb correct about salt water longevity?

What blurb are you referring to? I have several Penn reels to include the clash, SS, Slammer and battle that I use for fresh and salt water. I should say I had a clash in a horrible fishing accident it went over the side of the boat along with a custom rod it was on. Mainly for stripers and catfish. I buy Penn reels because they last, their drags can take a beating and they have large knobby handles.

The clash and Slammer are not sealed reels so some water can work its way inside. As far as longevity goes, I'm the wrong guy to ask, I am meticoulous about the care of my gear. I have zero issues with longevity on anything I buy. Penn is a well made reel that will last a lifetime with minimum care. If you take it swimming in saltwater you may have an issue but that can be said about any reel. I like the Slammer over the clash but I don't own any Slammer IIII

My favorite rod to pair most these reels with for stripers is a, shhhhhhhhhhh, an ugly stick tiger lite. I stopped buying way overpriced rods when I tried a friends one trip. Great rod for 80 bucks as long as you can handle the looks from the "pros."

Yeah I care for my reels too. Will have spray but don't expect any deliberate dunking.

The new III reels claim to be better protected from water ingress. I used to be a shimano guy but the qualities slipped and my last couple of higher priced reels are daiwa. Tempted by the penn for something different or might stick with the daiwa as UK prices are about the same.

I don't trust any reel or rod to be "salt water proof." I fish a lot in Saltwater, and after EVERY trip, I thoroughly wash off all the guides, and real seats on any rod used. Then I wash off any reel that left the car that day. Every 2 or 3 months, I will disassemble and clean up the inside of my reels. I saw way too much damage to all kinds of rods and reels when I was doing reel repair, and it was all from failure to clean them after use.

Wash in HOT water to rinse off salt spray, even if the tackle wasn't used, but just exposed. I strip my fly lines while washing the fly reels, and wash those in soapy hot water, and air dry. I have never had to replace any tackle due to salt corrosion.

If I ever dunk any tackle (and I have,) it get disassembled and cleaned with solvent, and re-lubed that night.

"Non fly fishing gear" hmm. Might know a bit about that since only about one quarter of my charters are "fly only"...

You'll see today's fishing report separately and it will feature a rod I built myself...

Only reel i ever had that salt water didn't get to in time is my alvey reels. I think i washed them once a year unless i dropped them in sand then i just rinsed them in the salt