Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Not one but two LAW vises on eBay!

Congratulations Barry

Mark, I havent got $5400 to my name. If it wasnt for cheap rent from my landlady Id be living in a cardboard box! I did save for a CAE vise though, which is a carbon copy of the LAW. Very good quality and Im satisfied with it. How much do your knives sell for? I bet some of the custom jobs are up there with LAW prices. When waldron was making vises I bet he didnt make much money as does Charles of CAE I sell a few jars of honey from my bees, it doesnt even cover the cost of keeping them. So I guess a serious collector will think nothing of forking out $5grand. Just look at the prices of cane rods! Anyone want to start a fund me account for my next bottle of rum😎

Wow, $5K+ for two vises? I'm just absolutely shocked. I understand collectables and collectors, if someone collects something then it's worth what they are willing to pay, but that price just seems absurd to me to be honest blink.png But hey, I bet the seller is having the best day of his life because it said "estate sale find" so if that's true then I bet you he got 50 times over on his price he paid.

Congratulations Barry

Mark, I havent got $5400 to my name. If it wasnt for cheap rent from my landlady Id be living in a cardboard box! I did save for a CAE vise though, which is a carbon copy of the LAW. Very good quality and Im satisfied with it. How much do your knives sell for? I bet some of the custom jobs are up there with LAW prices. When waldron was making vises I bet he didnt make much money as does Charles of CAE I sell a few jars of honey from my bees, it doesnt even cover the cost of keeping them. So I guess a serious collector will think nothing of forking out $5grand. Just look at the prices of cane rods! Anyone want to start a fund me account for my next bottle of rum

I once built a custom knife for a customer for the agreed upon price of $2,500.00. One year later he sold that knife for $10,000.00. That's collectors for you, nothing will ever surprise me.

In case you want to see it, here's the knife. It's a nice enough knife, it took me about 100 hours to build it. It's the only one in the world like it, and it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Knapp_150606A-XL.jpg

Congratulations Barry

Mark, I havent got $5400 to my name. If it wasnt for cheap rent from my landlady Id be living in a cardboard box! I did save for a CAE vise though, which is a carbon copy of the LAW. Very good quality and Im satisfied with it. How much do your knives sell for? I bet some of the custom jobs are up there with LAW prices. When waldron was making vises I bet he didnt make much money as does Charles of CAE I sell a few jars of honey from my bees, it doesnt even cover the cost of keeping them. So I guess a serious collector will think nothing of forking out $5grand. Just look at the prices of cane rods! Anyone want to start a fund me account for my next bottle of rum

I once built a custom knife for a customer for the agreed upon price of $2,500.00. One year later he sold that knife for $10,000.00. That's collectors for you, nothing will ever surprise me.

In case you want to see it, here's the knife. It's a nice enough knife, it took me about 100 hours to build it. It's the only one in the world like it, and it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Knapp_150606A-XL.jpg

Wow!

Kimo

Pretty, Mark. Not my cup o' tea ... but pretty. What is the guard and pommel made of? Is that brass and copper damascus?

Pretty, Mark. Not my cup o' tea ... but pretty. What is the guard and pommel made of? Is that brass and copper damascus?

Thanks guys, the guard and pommel are made of what is called "Mokume Gane" (pronounced mokoomay gonnay) it's a Japanese metal art using non-ferrous metals, in this case it's brass, copper and nickle silver, all fused together much like damascus is. Translated mokume gane means wood-grain metal. So...yes, mike, you are right.

I'm including mokume on the fly tying vise I'm making.

Yes SD, it's called damascus. It was developed about 2000 years ago to get the best properties from two different steels by laminating them together in thin layers. Today we do it just for aesthetic reasons, because now we have the ability to make steel that has all the properties we need.

I'm making a very special fly tying vise with damascus and mokume in it. I'm also thinking of making parts of it (maybe the jaws) with tamahagane which is an ancient kind of Japanese steel that I smelted myself from Alaskan Iron ore. The word tamahagane means "precious metal", it's the purest form of damascus and was what traditional samurai swords were made of, (and still is in some cases).

I thought that might be the name because I've heard that name before, but wasn't sure so didn't want to call it that and sound like a dummy in case I was wrong lol. Love the looks of that though just so unique looking.