Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

December Flies From The Vise

Grandma-s-Coat-800.jpg

Grandma's Coat

Category - Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H

Thread - Orange

Tail - Mixed bucktail or polar bear in red, yellow, purple, green and orange, one body length (bucktail pictured)

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel

Body - First half, olive seals fur, front half purple seals fur (i used uni-yarn as a substitute)

Wing - Same as tail, tied long, extending 1/2 body length past hook bend

Collar - Soft orange hen neck hackle

Reference - Salmonfly.net

Im usually just a looker, but I cant seem to get the back right on my humpys. To me it looks like it keeps wanting to wrap around the sides. Ive tried to hold it up while tying in, loosely wrapping, etc. If anyone has any advice Id greatly appreciate it.

With a Humpy (also with a Tom Thumb), I trim to length before tying in and cinch the cut ends tight, taking a few wraps through the flared tips. Then loosen up on the wraps back towards the tail. That helps with buoyancy. Then at the tail, I cinch down tight again. You can encircle the clump as Captain described. That will help.

I like Kimo's fly holder above. I like the fly and the photograph too. The fly holder looks like a sewing needle with the top of the eye ground off. Interesting.

I like Kimo's fly holder above. I like the fly and the photograph too. The fly holder looks like a sewing needle with the top of the eye ground off. Interesting.

Exactly, my hobby store sells it with a fufu alum handle. It is used to precisely apply CA.

Kimo

Freight-Train-800.jpg

Freight Train

Category - Steelhead

Hook – Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tail - Purple hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Rear 1/4 fluorescent orange floss, Second 1/4 red fluorescent floss, Front 1/2 Black chenille
Throat - Purple hackle
Wing - White calf tail

Was paging through Trout vol.1. In the chapter "The Black-Spotted Trout of the American Frontier", it's about all the Cutthroat trouts, came upon a reference to Carmichael's Indispensible. Had to check it out. Here it is, at least what I found. Dry fly hook, size 16, black 8/0 Uni, moose body tail, yellow thread body, pink thorax, grizzly hen wings, grizzly hackle collar. The rest of you all, keep 'em coming. Flytire, that Freight Train is waaaay cool

post-61480-0-96040100-1575400133_thumb.jpg

Coal-Car-800.jpg

Coal Car (Kaufmann)

Category – Steelhead

Hook – Gamakatsu T10-6H

Thread - Black

Tail - Black hackle fibers

Body - 1/4 Fluorescent orange floss/yarn; 1/4 Fluorescent red floss yarn; 1/2 Black chenille

Rib - Oval silver tinsel

Collar - Soft black hackle

Wing - A few strands of black krystal flash with black squirrel tail over