Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Age of different versions of the sci angler system 2 reels

Is there a webpage that gives the changes in these reels over the years?   I am trying to get an idea of age.   Looking at a basically new old stock 8/9 reel and it says scientific angler as a division of 3M,  i know now they are part of Orvis.   Any ideas?

3 hours ago, petelangevin said:

Is there a webpage that gives the changes in these reels over the years?   I am trying to get an idea of age.   Looking at a basically new old stock 8/9 reel and it says scientific angler as a division of 3M,  i know now they are part of Orvis.   Any ideas?

ORCA old reel collectors association  https://www.orcaonline.org/   might have info.

I'm not sure of the year, but the first one I bought says on the back "System Two 67-L" then a horizontal line and below that "Scientific Anglers/3M" then "Made in England"  and has a stainless spool cover (center cap on the handle side). I got one later, I think in 1993. It just says "System2" on the back and has a black plastic spool cover.

Several years back I had the pleasure to help my friend Bruce Richards, former fly line guru at Scientific Anglers dispose of a massive hoard of fly rods, reels and flies on Ebay accumulated over his 35 year career.  Among the hoard of course were several dozen System reels.  There have been at least three generations of these reels and as far as I know, they were all (except the System 3) manufactured by Hardy in England.  The earliest generation came out in the early 70s along with the first System rods (fiberglass generation) and are characterized by solid frames  (see pics).  The next generation followed the System G rods (early graphite) in the late 70s and early 80s.  They have perforated spools.  A third generation of reels appeared later with the name System 4, 5, 6 etc. that were essentially Hardy Marquis reels.  SA also produced the System 3 Big Game reels in two sizes in the USA.  Don’t see these very often.  I’ve attached some of the photos we used on Ebay.

My suggestion would be to contact SA directly and ask for the introduction dates of the different System reel models.

P9180950.JPG

PC121519.JPG

PA121244.JPG