Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Grampa

Has anyone else ever

built a 3wt. flyrod blank into a micro-lite spinning rod? I did and it's a lot of fun for small and the occasional large fish in streams too wooded for a back cast.

Yeah, I do this on flyrod blanks.  Have a 9' 3wt SC Avid built as a spinning rod, couple 7-8 wts as well.  Great fun.

Most interesting aspect is you realize just how light a 3 wt actually is in terms of power when built and fished as spinning tackle.  Doesn't seem as such with a flyline, but once there's the mechanical speed of a spinning reel and low stretch braid involved, the true nature of the blank is revealed.  Ain't much to 'em.

I prefer them for bobber rods/float fishing because they are a bit tip soft for any heavier jigs or rigs.  Lighter jigs/beadheads can be thrown and worked pretty well albeit at closer distances.  

Mine is a 6' SC 3wt. that Joe Robinson helped me with. I put an Orvis 50A bail-less reel on it and spooled it with 7X tippet material. It'll cast a 1/64oz. jig to the next zip code.

In a way, all my fly rods are spinning rods.  When I started building fly rods I wasn't a great caster,  still not that great.  Rather than blame myself I blamed the rod and the snake guides I had on it.  At the time, Fuji had just introduced it's single foot guides for made specifically for fly rods.  They didn't work well on the 8 wgt I was building.  I talked with the owner of place where I brought my blanks and components and he suggested using single foot spinning guides.  I've been using them on my rods ever since.   It made the transition from ultra-light spin fishing to fly fishing easier.  I haven't done it with my 5 or 6 wgts but both my 8 wgts are set up for a screw in fighting butt.  The original fighting butt I made was 3 inches.  I've since made 5 inch, 7 inch and 10 inch fighting butts for them.  Either of the 8 wgts make an excellent spinning rod and the 10 inch one turns the rods into two handed ones.   When I broke an inch or two from the tip of my fly rod over the years it was very easy to convert them to spinning rods.  

Yep have built quite a few UL rods on 2-3wt fly blanks. Also build spin rods on 10' 7wt fly blanks for steelhead and bass, they work great. When it comes to blanks it's all about the feel/action rather than what the manufacture says to you it is to be used for. Probably one of the neatest ones I did was for a guy about 5 yrs ago that did some true micro stream trout fishing. He wanted a tiny rod for that. Built him a 28" micro spin rod using the tip section from a 5wt blank. He loved it and used it all the time for tiny streams.

Is building a rod using just the tip section called a bantam rod? I know that some of the bamboo rods we're rebuilt using just the middle and tip of a 3 piece rod. 

At the other end of the weight spectrum, Gary Loomis got his start refitting fly rods with extended handles and spinning guides for Salmon and Steelhead fishing.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Jacks Grampa said:

Is building a rod using just the tip section called a bantam rod? I know that some of the bamboo rods we're rebuilt using just the middle and tip of a 3 piece rod. 

Never heard that term before. Very well could be, but just never heard that exact term used for them myself.