Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

Found bounty

Found the remains of a merganser on a walk this morning (fresh; wasn’t there last night)

49799530623_f56e9d9eb6_c.jpg

While debating the ethics of harvesting the plunder out of season, I walked to the house to get a plastic bag just in case I was able to override my conscience, but when I got back to the scene of the crime, the corpse was gone; not even a chalk outline remained.  
Managed to score a few breast feathers; maybe some Fanwing Coachmans?

49799532118_cf9f2cf871_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Scott, I hear you about the whole 'ethics' question regarding harvesting out of season.  Living in a somewhat rural area, and having a dog, I often come across that type of bounty on our frequent hikes, so much so that I carry a few plastic bags on me when out in the woods. I've resigned myself to live with my outlaw status (but I'm always looking over my shoulder.) 

There are, however, some lines I won't cross.  I came across a dead snowy owl two winters ago.  It was all I could do not to take a few of those feathers.  I was glad it was gone the next day when I went back "see if it was still there".  By that time the temptation had grown mighty powerful.  

May I get all naturalist up in here?

I suspect that since it is spring, the merganser may have been flightless due to molting, "April is also a time of transition for many birds, what with prealternate molts to look attractive to the opposite sex and immatures of various bird species molting into ..." a particularly vulnerable time for them. I'm not sure where your seasonal clock is, up here our water birds molt much later.

Foxes, coyotes and other predators take advantage of this time. It would not surprise me if you didn't catch the culprit in the middle of the act, on your walk the first time through and after you left, he returned right away to claim what was rightfully his.

I think that if you look around in the nearest vegetation there is a fair chance that you will see some more of that bird. He probably ran to the nearest cover to finish his meal undisturbed.

Also, since there was no chalk line, it's clear to me that it all happened so fast that an investigation was never started.:)

As to the legality of picking up feathers, I know of no law prohibiting it from migratory waterfowl. You cannot kill a bird out of season but you may pick up feathers if you find them. It's totally different with birds of prey. Of course you cannot pick up feathers from birds of prey and you cannot buy, sell, trade or barter feathers of either.

49801806051_af12c63090_c.jpg

Another one bites the dust.  It’s a bad time to be a merganser around here; they’re taking a beating this week.  By the way Mark, they can still get airborne; must be just a little bit slow on the draw.

Regards,
Scott

Wow, that's quite a thing to come across two in the same day. Can't remember the last time I came across something like that.

Well, let us know. This is pretty interesting. Also, I'd love to see what fly you tie with merganser feathers.

22 hours ago, SBPatt said:

Mark,

I’m almost afraid to see what’s going to be there tomorrow.

Regards, 
Scott

Can't resist, you'll find another muddled mergie.

18 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Can't resist, you'll find another muddled mergie.

That would be the name for the fly huh.

Many wild bird species molt essential feathers constantly, so that they always have enough to use them. Some birds will molt dramatically to “color up” but it does not generally affect the flight feathers. 

Interesting observations! Maybe you’ll find one you can score some feathers off of soon. You should be good to take what you please from game animals you find deceased, but a call to local Fish and Game LEO will clear it up for sure. Just don’t touch the pretty songbirds and birds of prey. The feather police are out there. They’re always watching. 😁👀

15 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

That would be the name for the fly huh.

Yep, or the dead duck.