Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jcstikfish

Fly Tying and Cats!

Does anyone else out there have a major problem with house cats and fly tying materials? If I leave anything at my bench, without being there,it is in there mouths. I can't tell you how many times I have found them rolling around on the floor with a bucktail. Or I wake up in the morning and the hackle I forgot to but away has been drug to the foot of the bed as a trophy! Finished flies have to go into a case or they will get attacked too.

Any Suggestions? (no I can't get rid of the cats biggrin.gif )

James

Heh heh... I don't have cats anymore (due to wife's and daughter's allergies) but I have an identical problem with my dog...

ANY time I'm doing ANY thing, he wants to investigate what I'm doing (especially if it's in the kitchen!) and, more often that not, tries to get involved in the activity.

This goes QUADRUPLE when there are feathers or fur involved.... He just refuses to accept my assertion that the pink/green/red furry thing in my hand is not a live animal.

At well over 100 lbs and still a pup, he's a little difficult to shoo away from the bench as well. mad.gif

At least I occasionally get to enjoy watching him freak out when he inhales bits of marabou during his investigations! LOL biggrin.gif

Suggestions for you? I dunno... maybe some "aversion training" carried out with a spray bottle: Give your cats a shot of water any time they approach your bench with intent. dunno.gif

Me? I just keep telling the dog to pi$$ off and then, when that doesn't work (it never does!), holler for someone to come entertain him. When that doesn't work (it never does!) I just quit tying for a while. (sigh) Warm weather's coming, though, so I can put him outside when I start wrapping fur 'n' feathers.....

Silly me, thinking I was the Alpha around here..... heh

Cheers!

Gary (feeling your pain, in Canada)

Ditto on the dog problem, I have a black lab the total chewed up 6 necks (I learned not to leave materials out of a drawer while I'm not around). The dog didn't eat them, just chewed them apart. I was amazed how many individual feathers there are on 6 necks! Was picking them up for weeks.

I have 2 cats...t he same age. One could not care less that I am tying flies, the other will not leave me alone. Always trying to carry off a trophy, and always manages to drive me crazy. So I know what you are going through!

Im gonna have to go along with the dog owners on this one.I have a 10 month old black lab pup,and one night I had brought home some fresh pheasant feathers that a guy at work had shot.Well needless to say I had not yet introduced her to any kind of bird scent yet,but wholey s&it she got wind of those feathers and it took everything I had to get her under control and not end up destroying the house.Needless to say now, those feathers only come out when I am ready to use them,and she sometimes still has to go in here crate. laugh.gif

Ohhh yeah. I've got three dogs and a cat. I used to have to pack up everything every time I got up. It was killer and wasted tons of time, so last spring I got a used roll top desk for my birthday. Get up close the top problem solved!

Our cat isn't interested in materials but she does like to climb up on my lap and swat at the bobbin. dry.gif

Our cats love the Muskrat, it's like catnip to them, everything else they run when they take a sniff but if I leave out the Muskrat, they will get it and roll and bury thier noses deep into it, chew on fight each other for and then pass out. . . .I tired sniffing it but nothing happens sad.gif

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Mar 17 2005, 12:06 PM)
Our cat isn't interested in materials but she does like to climb up on my lap and swat at the bobbin. dry.gif

lazy cats r cool

When my cat was a kitten one whap took care of the problem. He could care less now when I'm tying.

I used to have a german sheppard and he loved to eat any material that was once in any way related to an animal. I just got used to making sure my stuff was away when I finished.

No dogs or cats here, but my parrot gives me dirty looks every time I pluck feathers from the hackle (Not his).