Fly Tying
bestbuilder

Wader repair

My stocking foot breathable waders are leaking?

I've sealed all the seams with aqua seal and now they ooze under the heal.

Is there any way to fix this? The rest of the waders are in great shape, its a waste to junk them because of the neoprene breaking down in 3 years.

They are "Gillies Gear" a company that went out of business last year, so I can't send them back.

Help!

Thats a common problem with waders. Sand and small rocks get in your boots and tend to wear the heels out faster than any other part of the foot due to the constant rubbing and your weight on your heals. I've had to replace a couple pair because of that problem myself. You can probably get a little more life out of them by getting some patch neo material and aqua sealing the patch to the heel. With doing that method though I like to put the patch on the inside of the heel because it will pull away very quickly if you put it on the outside.

Turn the waders inside out, clean the heels real good, then cut a patch and seal it to the heel and let it dry. That will get you by for maybe a season depending on how much fishing you do.

After that get some gravel guards if you dont already have them and that will help keep the grit out of the boots.

SD

I had the same problem so I just spread Aqua-seal on the whole heel section and haven't had a problem since. Great stuff that Aqua-seal

Ken cool.gif

I had to patch my neo's and I have one word "GOOP". This stuff is great and its really flexible and strong. No need for patch or anything just smear it over the hole with a popsicle stick in thin layers. I even use it to patch my chainsaw cutting pants for work and they end up twice as strong. About 7 or 8 bucks a tube.

I bought a pair of neoprene socks because of a slow leak in my boot foot waders. Keeps my feet dry and warm until I get new waders. I've heard of guys using a pair of wool socks over their stocking foots to avoid wear and tear. These booties might do a good job as well.