Fly Tying

"A Few Minutes With Al Beatty"

I came up with the idea not long ago to conduct interviews with some of the "famous" people in our sport. We decided to ask Al Beatty if he would be willing to participate and I was glad to see that he agreed to do it.

I gave the moderators the opportunity to ask Al the questions and once we got a good list of questions I emailed them to Al. Within a few days he emailed me back his answers and I was excited about the amount of effort that he put into answering each question.

I would personally like to take a moment to thank Al for taking the time to do this, I couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome.

So everyone should take a moment to read this, Al gives us some great insight into his life and a glimpse of what it is like to make a living in the fly fishing world.

A Few Minutes With Al Beatty

user posted image

Al,

Thanks for taking the time to give some pointers and insight to those of us who daydream at work about living a life of a professional fly-tyer/fisher.

That is the kind of stuff that people are starved for on the internet. What a super guy and a terrific opportunity for the participants on this site. I'm guessing that you'll find many more willing interview subjects in the near future. Congratulations on once again improving the best fly fishing site on the net. -Jeff

Al,

It was truly a pleasure reading your response to the list of questions. I also truly appreciate your time, willingness to share your insights and most importantly, for me, your words of wisdom and advice. What struck me the most is the happiness you attained through your partnership with Gretchen. I believe you have become so well admired and successful because you care for others as deeply as your passion for fly fishing and tying. Thank you very much for taking the time to so eloquently answer all of the questions with so much detail and knowledge.

Respectfully,

Graham

Al-

That was easily the most informative and inspirational interview I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Thank you.

Will-

What a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing.

That was really...refreshing! Thanks Al! It was different from the run-of-the-mill interview, and very honest.

I'm sorry, but I am very disappointed with the article. Gretchen wasn't included in the interview, and she is an integral part of their (please note the plural) columns. My wife is rarely interested in articles in my fishing magazines, but she does show some interest in their columns.

I have several nieces and nephews whom I am trying to interest in fly tying and fishing. I want them to see both male and female role models. Nuff said.

Boba. . . please reread the article. I know your reply is probably tongue-in-cheek, but Al gives Grethen her due. He says an article never goes out without her looking it over. He states that they tie and fish together. They travel to conclaves together. He gives her her rightly earned kudos. I bet she looked over the answers he provided in the interview too!

Al and gretchen are very nice people and well deserving of the respect they have in the fly fishing corners.

I guess you never considered the fact that I was already planning on do a seperate interview with Gretchen sometime in the future.