Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Shower curtains and Fly Tying???

So what would shower curtains have to do with fly tying? Well, on another board one tyer said he cut the wings out of show curtain for stones. I haven't done that yet. What I do is wait for the wife to make her monthly change or so of shower curtains and grab the little magnets that they put on the bottom of the curtains. Since almost all tubs, at least ours, are plastic they do no good in the shower but they work great in the cave. I glue them to the base of my vise and a few other places to hold both hooks while I'm tying on one sides and drying threads on the other side of vise. Here's what I'm talking about.

DSCF5756.JPG

DSCF5759.JPG

Yeah, I get those too.  But we don't change our shower curtains quite as often as you do.  

Wow, your FT bench is really organized. I feel like I need to sneak in there in the middle of the night and mess it up some. Maybe spill some head cement and throw some feathers around. Maybe even glue some feathers to the bench, and hide some of your tools so you'll have to look for them the way I do.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Wow, your FT bench is really organized. I feel like I need to sneak in there in the middle of the night and mess it up some. Maybe spill some head cement and throw some feathers around. Maybe even glue some feathers to the bench, and hide some of your tools so you'll have to look for them the way I do.

Yep, that's why I took the picture. I had just got cleaning up after tying 3 sets of different flies for swaps and had no idea where any of my tools except what was hanging on the vise itself. What you see is the rare, very rare, desk in clean enough shape to show to the public. One of these days I'll back out and take a picture while I'm in the middle of a mess of flies and show it's true colors. One of these days I'll actually start to keep notes of where I put things like fly eyes, popper bodies, articulating shanks, and things like that. My really basics are right there in trays right in front of me but I have a wall full of junk and 3 - 3 door storage stacks full of things I'm always looking for. I have this habit of saying as I put something away, NOW I'll remember where that is. Right...an hour later I'll find it again under something I put on top of it the next day.

14 hours ago, vicrider said:

Yep, that's why I took the picture. I had just got cleaning up after tying 3 sets of different flies for swaps and had no idea where any of my tools except what was hanging on the vise itself. What you see is the rare, very rare, desk in clean enough shape to show to the public. One of these days I'll back out and take a picture while I'm in the middle of a mess of flies and show it's true colors. One of these days I'll actually start to keep notes of where I put things like fly eyes, popper bodies, articulating shanks, and things like that. My really basics are right there in trays right in front of me but I have a wall full of junk and 3 - 3 door storage stacks full of things I'm always looking for. I have this habit of saying as I put something away, NOW I'll remember where that is. Right...an hour later I'll find it again under something I put on top of it the next day.

I feel better now. You are just like me.

That's a good idea, vicrider. 

My kids had a set of rare earth magnets when younger that I now use at the tying desk to hold tools and hooks.

They're also great for locating small hooks dropped on the floor, and I keep one in my fishing vest to find small flies that I've dropped on the ground when fishing.   

IMG-20200615-201927.jpg

IMG-20200615-201938.jpg