Fly Tying
haziz

The Feather Bender's Flytying Techniques Book: Relevance for the USA?

The Feather Bender's Flytying Techniques: A Comprehensive Guide to Classic and Modern Trout Flies by Barry Orde Clarke, looks interesting, but it seems to be written by a European tyer. I realize that tying technique in general, and many fly patterns, are universal, but still wanted some feedback as to how relevant and useful US based fly tyers find this book?

Any feedback regarding the book, in general?

Thanks.

I haven't seen that book in particular, but many of the flies I fish the most often are of British origin and work just as well over here.  Additionally, at least in his tying videos, and articles in publications such as Fly Tyer,  many of the flies he ties are of American origin anyway.

BTW, it's a bit cheaper if you order from Amazon UK, even with trans-Atlantic shipping.

I highly recommend the book as he draws parallels to what he refers to as North American compared to European species.  The techniques he demonstrates are excellent.  And, yes, his videos are very good as well.

I did finally break down and ordered the Kindle version of the book, since it was less expensive. The book is clearly very well done and the integration of the video links and supplemental material exceptionally well presented. My one issue is that he certainly jumps into fairly complex patterns from the very beginning. This is not a book that eases a newbie in with a woolly bugger, or woolly worm. I guess I could have figured that out by watching the videos of the first few patterns, and possibly saved my money. However, I am quite impressed with the book and will certainly keep it, I just need to work my way up to these patterns. Great second or third book, but probably not a great choice for a relative newbie, albeit one who has been tying a little for a couple of years in my case.

Yup, not a beginner's book. Keep it and you'll use it soon enough. 

For another newbie I just did a kindle search and found a beginner's lesson book on sale for $3, normally $30. It's by Al & Gretchen Beatty, who are among the sages of this forum. They are superb teachers, so I don't think you can go wrong with it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Tie-Beginning-Fly-Tying-ebook/dp/B07343F5WN/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=beatty+beginner&qid=1596505329&sr=8-5