Fly Tying
Landon P

One Year Ago Today

I was thinking the same thing (all the flies I tied in my first year) when I saw that in the Hardy's movie.  

Ah, when you could send young-uns off to apprentice.

29 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Really nice to see you grow into this. Apparently, if you were in Scotland 100 years ago making salmon flies, at 15 you'd be in the second year of a five year apprenticeship, and every one of your flies tied in the first year would have been cut back down and never fished...

What! That just hurts!

On 8/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, Landon P said:

What! That just hurts!

A little off topic I know but speaking of apprenticeship I read a article about becoming a swordsmith in Japan.  Maybe Hardy wasn't so "extreme" after all? 

The master and the apprentice

The relationship between master and apprentice is personal, and for life. It is not that of a teacher and his student, for the master isn’t expected to teach anything. It is rather expected of the apprentice that he assimilates as much knowledge as possible while he shares his master’s life. It is not a superior and his subordinate either, as there is neither remuneration nor contract. There is no exchange: the relationship is authoritarian and one-way, from master to apprentice. It is not a partnership! It shall be the apprentice’s duty to pass down his knowledge to the next generation.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:41 AM, DFoster said:

A little off topic I know but speaking of apprenticeship I read a article about becoming a swordsmith in Japan.  Maybe Hardy wasn't so "extreme" after all? 

The master and the apprentice

The relationship between master and apprentice is personal, and for life. It is not that of a teacher and his student, for the master isn’t expected to teach anything. It is rather expected of the apprentice that he assimilates as much knowledge as possible while he shares his master’s life. It is not a superior and his subordinate either, as there is neither remuneration nor contract. There is no exchange: the relationship is authoritarian and one-way, from master to apprentice. It is not a partnership! It shall be the apprentice’s duty to pass down his knowledge to the next generation.

I love (or very much like) this. I have some apprentices and that statement pretty much hits the nail on the head. Not that I am comparing myself to a Japanese swordsmith.

Way to go Landon, your improvement is evident and impressive. Now, remember this, do not get a fat head about it. There is always someone who knows more about it than you do and you can always learn something from anybody.

15 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Way to go Landon, your improvement is evident and impressive. Now, remember this, do not get a fat head about it. There is always someone who knows more about it than you do and you can always learn something from anybody.

That is my golden rule Mark. 

53 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Very good, now go tie something.

After this morning I need to re plenish my hares ears! Also need more indicators. Trees need to eat to!

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Very true. Like fighting, there's always someone who can kick your a$$ and it's not always who you might think can't.  Annnd a bit off topic but, how was your trip?