Fly Tying

iPhone case

Thought I’d pass this along. May be redundant.  Struggled to get easy lanyard/ waterproof case for my phone w/o breaking the bank.   Lil gal few months ago fixed me up at Walmart.   Although in the salt or in waders I still use a sandwich bag for total waterproof.  Can’t understand why we can get to the moon yet phones are mostly water resistant not waterproof.   The life proof cases, $80, claim water proof but soon leak.  So can’t trust that so the bags.   But this $22 hard rubber case by blackweb (with a  $2 stick on glass cover) that you punch a hole in for a case hard ring for a lanyard keeps it safe from dropping overboard, commode, iced tea, etc.   You can’t overload the lanyard with hardware cuz it clicks and such in your mic but works great with soft lanyard.  This one is a whistle or ID lanyard.  The phone snaps down and stays put under pretty ruff stuff.  Chancy putting in bag with lanyard sticking out but pretty safe in covered pocket for splashes, rain but overboard nada....I have iPhone 6 I think.    Maybe need to patent it. Only thing I see around is stick on patches with lil D rings   The bulky w.p. cases are a pain.   Dang phones are $K so keep insurance up to date.   I think you only pay for first year and never advised to update. Oops can’t photo of phone itself or round my neck. 🥴 Found one   

Youse guys that don’t believe in smart phones.  OK we get it.   Me I’m naked w/o my pocket knife and tact lite..... now dang phone. 😏    Nice to be able to trade stocks almost instantly.

Remember the $30 Nokia’s.   I heard mine tumbling in the dryer😳 That meant it had already gone thru the wash cycles.   It worked for 2 mo. after that.

Mi’sipi

8C17527F-78F0-4E4B-A07C-F36339BA7F21.jpeg

A3BD1C88-E30B-49A3-8ED7-4C2C87B63B36.jpeg

21870C98-0F88-4ED8-A092-9349A06A4C69.png

B8091708-396B-4686-B02A-50C8AB687FFC.png

Sandwich bag and a set of blue tooth air pods for me. I don't take pictures of fish so I don't need it as a camera but I do like to listen to the radio and answer any calls I may get while fishing. phone won't get wet if it stays in my pocket in a sandwich bag. 

A great idea! I like the lanyard idea, keeping from dropping the phone is a great way to stop it from getting wet in the first place! I personally use a Kyocera phone that is waterproof, dustproof shockproof etc. Of course the waterproof-ness is only to a certain depth for a certain amount of time, but I have tested it by dropping it in my hot tub. I let it dry out and it was good after that. The biggest downside to the Kyocera is it is nowhere near as powerful as the iPhones, has a worse camera etc. I'm just accident prone and don't trust myself with that technology.

If I’m remembering right some of the lil phones had a small hole and lil corded wrist like lanyard.  Or I took one off a camera and am confused but may be hole which makes it easier.   Dang they oughta come with hole or eye!  

‘05 you been on here awhile.   Not a kid anymore 😛.   We looked into a trip to Penobscot awhile ago never happened.   Bucket list to catch some pretty Brookies.   I caught a stocker in Norfork R. Arkansas one time.  Where you from?

I think you're right! Just looking at my phone now and it has a small pass-through for a lanyard. I'll have to try that out. Ya, I think I joined here when I was 13, a lot sure has changed on the forum and in my life since then. Definitely fully immersed in the adult life experience at this point! I'm up in Michigan so we have quite a few Brookies around here. Honestly been a while since I've caught one though. I love catching them in the small, overgrown streams. 

Ran across this lil deal from camera I think  I used on the Nokia/Kyocera    Yeh in the beginning on the forum it was all about adding to the fly data base of which I never did...

D4564FD3-C9FA-4A1D-BE0C-3BC7DC9051B8.jpeg

On your recommendation I grabbed one of the blackweb rugged cases for my s10e things beefy a little bigger than I'd hoped but not too bad, thanks for the recommendation.

Find a spring steel ring and poke holes on corner of bottom of rubber side for a lanyard.  Might wanta use top corner.  Don’t forget to buy $2-3 stick on tempered glass to protect front face of phone.   from time to time take stiff brush( I use lil paint brush with bristles cut off half way) and clean the 2 bottom ports.   The charger hole has nice partial cover X splits.

One time I panicked when couldn’t get charger to work.   Finally spotted a tiny piece of stick in charger hole preventing the charger from going in all the way.  1 /64” piece was a lot.  Lawn mowing dust without pocket flap down😳

F30A08D6-22AB-435B-93D8-1E8D0CD7CC22.png

On 9/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, denduke said:

😛 Bucket list to catch some pretty Brookies.   I caught a stocker in Norfork R. Arkansas one time. 

Denduke -New England is loaded with Brook Trout and the farther north you go the bigger they will be.   If you still intend to meet your bucket list I highly recommend the month of October.   Our native's colors intensify to match our foliage.   The weather can be anywhere from 40 to 80 degrees and the water temps will be cold.   In the Autumn you can get them on everything- dry's, nymphs, soft hackles, winged wets or streamers. Thanks for the iphone tip - all these photos were taken free hand and it's only a matter of time.... A lanyard is going to solve that fear!

IMG_2606.thumb.JPG.d11856495bab197cab10fd0a1a95a564.JPG

IMG_E7082.thumb.JPG.50d7e45d92764f71ad7e6b799e01d846.JPGWJOL7777.PNG.82b23b2af9b1c25f3b624c22cc60b2fd.PNG

Every creature is a beauty unto itself but those Brookies are something.   Dang they hit some huge flies.    Got a step granddaughter that lives in Boston.  Maybe after this Covid crap is over make a trip.   On trip to Idaho I had 3 4 piece fly rods in rigged cases, 3nets, 3 waders/boots, 2 vests, 2 telescopic ultra lite spinrigs, and too many fly boxes all in my 50# luggage.    My daughter had to bring my clothes, Ha.  

On 11/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, denduke said:

Every creature is a beauty unto itself but those Brookies are something.   Dang they hit some huge flies.    Got a step granddaughter that lives in Boston.  Maybe after this Covid crap is over make a trip.   On trip to Idaho I had 3 4 piece fly rods in rigged cases, 3nets, 3 waders/boots, 2 vests, 2 telescopic ultra lite spinrigs, and too many fly boxes all in my 50# luggage.    My daughter had to bring my clothes, Ha.  

As a rule our wild Brookies are generally more aggressive, opportunistic or easily fooled (take your pick) than Rainbows or Browns.  I've caught them on #10's and #20's out of the same hole within minutes of each other.  The wild ones here in Mass don't normally get bigger than 10" but on a 2 or 3 weight they are a tremendous amount of fun.  A friend of mine calls them the "Jewel of the stream".  They are pretty!