Fly Tying
Pbass

Vise for Streamers?

Hi. Any suggestions for a vise for bigger freshwater fly's? I have a Renzetti Traveler that I do like. It just seems a bit small sometimes. I know a lot of guys do everything with a traveler and like I said I do like it. I am just thinking something else for bigger ties. 

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Dyna King 

CAE0A71C-85E4-4F2C-A0F1-B5E7A5D3DF69.jpeg

What model is yours? Do you like the grove in the jaws? I have only ever used the Renzetti Traveler or a Regal and they have smooth jaws. Dyna King was on my radar. Anything specifically you really like about it? Thank you for your help!

Owwwwwwwwww Barracuda.  Shame you didn’t mention this last week because on another site I belong to a fellow was selling

his for half price.  Didn’t last a day.  Vise for a lifetime. If you’re tying big flies I don’t think there’s a better vise out there and the regular

jaw held  22s fine.  The Barracuda is a full true rotary vise.  I know because I have two. First one is over 20 yrs old and going strong and after 20 yrs I got myself the Dyna Ultimate which is sure a pretty vise and a little overkill for me. Made me a better tyer though.  My old Barracuda is now strictly my streamer saltwater vise and my traveling club vise and my Ultimate stays at home and ties small freshwater ties.  I also have a Renzetti Traveler that’s probably 24 yrs old and true to it’s name I take it on road trips and am happy with it.

I am very happy with the groove. It takes a little fiddling on some odd model hooks but really not a problem.  I think @Sandan is a Dynaking fan as well and maybe he can chime in.

Mogup- Thanks for the info! I really like the looks of them. And they are stainless instead of aluminum. Not sure why but I like that idea. Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, Pbass said:

Mogup- Thanks for the info! I really like the looks of them. And they are stainless instead of aluminum. Not sure why but I like that idea. Thanks again!

Yup it’s a real solid tool which a lot of people like and it gives you ample room to work with.

8C609B20-E939-4CF4-94D1-84FB7F1FAD4C.jpeg

i tie mostly streamers use a renzetti traveler but have the clouser jaws  for over 10 yrs       need to get the cam lever

2 minutes ago, richmce said:

i tie mostly streamers use a renzetti traveler but have the clouser jaws  for over 10 yrs       need to get the cam lever

I put the cam lever on my old Renzetti and I liked it much better. 

fairly happy with my HMH Spartan for streamers and bucktails-  with the jaw set horizontal it allows easy access to both the upper and lower side of the hook without bending any long materials out of the way.  

1 hour ago, JSzymczyk said:

fairly happy with my HMH Spartan for streamers and bucktails-  with the jaw set horizontal it allows easy access to both the upper and lower side of the hook without bending any long materials out of the way.  

I will check them out thanks!

2 hours ago, Mogup said:

Yup it’s a real solid tool which a lot of people like and it gives you ample room to work with.

8C609B20-E939-4CF4-94D1-84FB7F1FAD4C.jpeg

Is the ultimate indexer worth the extra money in your opinion? I want to buy once and have not regrets that I didn't just get the best one. 

The indexing feature is really not needed any longer now that we have UVs. We are not waiting for glues and epoxies to dry anymore that necessitated a continuous rotation.  Having a pivot joint on the stem is great.  The Excalibur is a mighty fine vise though still very pricy. I would be very happy with the Excalibur.

I'm really happy with my anvil atlas, kinda a similar shape to the dyna king barracuda, I am sure the barracuda is a better vise but the atlas is a very well made and solid vise that holds hooks well, it's also significantly less costly.

3 minutes ago, vicente said:

I'm really happy with my anvil atlas, kinda a similar shape to the dyna king barracuda, I am sure the barracuda is a better vise but the atlas is a very well made and solid vise that holds hooks well, it's also significantly less costly.

Thanks! I have not seen one but will check it out for sure!