Fly Tying
RUSSMYSTER

A thread comparison chart?

Is there some kind of chart that it describes thread s that are similar to each other? Each manufacturers size declaration isn't consistent in the industry.  Whether it'll flatten well, any tendencies, what size brand A is similar to size __ in brand B just wondering if somebody's sorted it out?  Thanks

On 11/30/2020 at 1:15 PM, RUSSMYSTER said:

Is there some kind of chart that it describes thread s that are similar to each other? Each manufacturers size declaration isn't consistent in the industry.  Whether it'll flatten well, any tendencies, what size brand A is similar to size __ in brand B just wondering if somebody's sorted it out?  Thanks

No chart will tell you how thick a thread actually is on the hook. Thickness in these charts is unreliable because the size that manufacturer's advertise is not true between manufacturers as you noted.

Manufacturers especially Veevus are playing games with the aught labeling system. You would think that a 16/0 thread would be thinner than a 8/0 thread but no so if the manufacturer is different.

Why does the Veevus 12/0 in the Globalflyfisher chart below have the identical denier measurement (70 denier) as the Veevus 14/0? Why is the Veevus 14/0 thicker than the 12/0 in mm (.049 vs .047 mm). Shouldn't 14/0 be THINNER than 12/0???

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

30923115177_f2577b40ec_o.png

I've tied with both 14/0 and 16/0 Veevus.  They seem excellent, but not a huge advance over other excellent threads. 

First of all, there in NO FREE LUNCH in tying threads. Some threads advertise that they are stronger but the strength of thread is from the strength of the AMOUNT of material AND the MATERIAL strength. One thread manufacturer's Nylon and Polyester fiber is not stronger than another manufacturer's Nylon and Polyester fiber. They all buy from the same chemical companies that manufacture the nylon and polyester. Do you think that they can get a custom run of nylon or polyester for the amount of material these guys use?

For more than you ever wanted to know about fly tying threads, have a look at this article by Chris Helms:  http://www.swtu.org/pdfs/fly_tying/Threads.pdf   (It was written before Veevus came on the scene.)

One of the lessons from the article is that the "aught" measure of thread size varies all over the place.  One maker's 8/0 is the same as another maker's 12/0.  For example Uni 8/0 and Benecchi 12/0 are very similar.  

That has been my experience too.  The hook shank below is wrapped with exactly 40 wraps of eight different threads. Why does the UNI 8/0 have less bulk than the Veevus 14/0 and 16/0. Could it be that Veevus is trying to fool us!

k3n6.jpg.e4bcae61cc79dc73c3f6d5ff50fcff1d.jpg

Awesome. Thank you sir! That's more like what I was interested in.  I've tied on and off since I was a kid in the 70s.   Just got back in and  was thinking a spreadsheet something like for sized 6-10 these threads , 12-16 these threads...  Awesome picture.  Great idea. 

For trout flies I like using Utc 70, Gordon’s Sheer 14/0 and Veevus 14/0 & 16/0 .  Bigger stuff I tie with Utc 140.

Thanks for posting the chart.  I picked up some Semperfli Spyder recently.  A little disappointed to see it has a similar diameter to the Orvis 12/0 I already own.  Guess, I'll see how they compare the on the hook.

Chris