Fly Tying
Baron

The Brown Owl

Does anyone here tie or use the Brown Owl Fly. It seems to be a New England native and it is larger than many stonefly patterns I've seen. Tied in a moderate size it appears to be just right for summertime Gills and Bass. 

I guess I'm looking for testimonials, discussions and perhaps a favorite tutorial that someone may have laying around. 

Thanks in advance.

I have tied up a few to use for trout on the stream, I have not used them in still water or for panfish yet. 

Its really a great looking fly, very buggy, and looks great on the water, not too difficult to tie, either.  I must say though, I have more luck with a Grizzly King pattern than the Brown Owl, which seems odd because to me the Brown Owl looks muck more like a bug a trout is likely to encounter than a Grizzly King does, so I haven;t given the Owl a fair shake.  I should probably give the it more time on the end of my line.  

Here is the version I tried,.  For the body I subbed tan tinsel braid hit with a green marker for the gold tinsel, brown hen hackle for the grizzly hackle.  Maybe my substitutions screwed the whole think up, who knows?

IMG-20200603-100608.jpg

Here's a link on how the originator,  Bob Broad, tied it: https://mailchi.mp/94f403e1d454/3-more-rotary-fly-tying-videos-2438765

It is easy for me to get confused and I want to sort of get to the bottom of original designs. I see Bart Lombardo is mentioned somewhere in these articles and since he resides locally I rather follow his work and joined Panfish on the fly. That is where I copied the Stayner Ducktail. Lots of versions of everything it seems. I like the Grizzly King but through my Leary old eyes it looks Salmony and not Bassy ( the spelling is also my version, lol). I'm such a novice that I still have trouble not crowding the hook, pinching maraboo tails and flat trimming the top  of a hackle that just spent to much time getting right. I like the sparseness of the version you all shared. To show you where I was at until now I've attached my only attempt (size 2x - #2) at tying this as I'm awaiting more hooks in the mail. Looks like I could have made two flies out of the same materials spent on this one. I'll get there. 

What size would you recommend tying the Grizzly King in?IMG_5028.thumb.jpeg.9396353dc01f98dab02ce224a1805a9a.jpeg

Flytire, Brown owl. But Niveker mentioned Grizzly King and I inquired the size he would recommend. Flytire

1 hour ago, rotaryflytyingdotcom said:

have you used this improved version? Its pretty but not as buggy.

The photo I posted is an example of how badly things can go wrong and it is my only attempt ever at tying a Brown Owl. 

I seldom tie anything larger than a 8 or 6, but your mileage may vary.   

Baron, I will say I like to know about the history of most of the older fly patterns and the materials used, but for the most part though when I tie them, I try not to get too caught up on using historically correct materials all the time. I have no problem changing material, colors, or hook sizes to suit either what have on hand or what I think will work better, for me.  Experiment and use what works best.  To me, that's what makes fly tying enjoyable. I think most members here feel the same way.  Keep tying and posting and fishing, and enjoy. 

Here's three different flies, all a bit different.  I call them all Grizzly Kings.  #12 2xl nymph, #8 small streamer for trout, #10 3xl streamer for the lake/panfish.  Hook sizes are from memory, crazy how they vary from brand to brand.     

IMG-20210110-083541.jpg

IMG_20201017_203028_cr.jpg

IMG_20200413_175919.jpg

21 minutes ago, Baron said:

how badly things can go wrong

It ain't a mistake if the fish hit it, the only opinions that really count.    

Thanks for the comfort. I try to not miss the spirit or intention of why a Fly Originator used this or that so that I stay on track with the parts that really matter. Once I have it down then I'm happy to adapt it to my local needs. Case in point. Yesterday the hot fly was two paper punch foams in yellow and also pink glued and tied to a size 16 hook.

Those are awesome flies you posted.

IMG_4563.thumb.jpeg.a4cf4c69a1987a907bf4288043b18215.jpeg

5 hours ago, Baron said:

Thanks for the comfort. I try to not miss the spirit or intention of why a Fly Originator used this or that so that I stay on track with the parts that really matter. Once I have it down then I'm happy to adapt it to my local needs. Case in point. Yesterday the hot fly was two paper punch foams in yellow and also pink glued and tied to a size 16 hook.

Those are awesome flies you posted.

IMG_4563.thumb.jpeg.a4cf4c69a1987a907bf4288043b18215.jpeg

Looks like a piece of Bazooka bubble gum that was sliced with a razor and stuck on a hook! 😊 The Brown owl flies

submitted by everyone are very nice. I have heard a lot about this fly and wondered if owl was part of the original dressing.

Just having some fun by the way Baron and watch out for niveker as he is an apparent heretic.

Just an FYI - the fly - as shown from Martin Joergenson from SB Pratt post - is killer up here in the Northeast.  Fished at dusk, big old brown's will come up and smack 'em.

River smallmouth's as well.  Up here in NH, I'll even use them in an Alder Fly hatch. 

Strip them in (or swing them) like a streamer as well.  A very useful fly...

Flytire great info.

I’m so impressed with the New England styles. It will a long fun journey. 

hole punches work when they’re hungry.