Fly Tying
Gundriver64

ISO: Consistent Quality (Calf Hair)

HI Guys, the shops that have tying supplies that I frequent almost never have any patches of white calf hair (for Wulff wings) available.  Calf hair is one of those materials that I would rather look over before buying.  But, since I have nothing to look over because nothing is ever in stock; I need to order online.

Who is your preferred online vendor for calf hair where you can get reasonably good patch?

Kind Regards,

G

Closest farm. A guy fished our local tailwater with a hook and a few white calf hairs he got from fences. Caught lots of fish.

38 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Closest farm. A guy fished our local tailwater with a hook and a few white calf hairs he got from fences. Caught lots of fish.

Predominately angus cattle in my stomping grounds  :lol:

Are you talking calf body or calf tail hair (I’ve tied Wulffs with both)? For calf body hair, the best quality I found came from Charlie Craven; I think it was Spirit River (it’s been a few years) but he high-graded a patch for me and it was very nice stuff.

Calf tails are one of the things I have to see and feel before I buy; hair has to be the right length and texture - straight with no curl or twist. Never have bought one online.

Regards,
Scott

5 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

Are you talking calf body or calf tail hair (I’ve tied Wulffs with both)? For calf body hair, the best quality I found came from Charlie Craven; I think it was Spirit River (it’s been a few years) but he high-graded a patch for me and it was very nice stuff.

Calf tails are one of the things I have to see and feel before I buy; hair has to be the right length and texture - straight with no curl or twist. Never have bought one online.

Regards,
Scott

Body hair (square patch)

And I've never personally liked calf body hair for anything. A good kip tail provides great hair for Wulff wings, RC hairwings, and I like to take lightly curled hair and fit it so it curves over a streamers back. Just never got the knack of cutting body hair and keeping it together to make use of for any purpose. For parachutes I've gone to using poly and folding it around the thread and then tying it in place and wrapping the two strands into one post.

I get most of my supplies from J. Stockard, and I just got a new patch of body hair in my last order.  Hope this helps.

Kim