Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Quagga 2.0

Been having a lot of fun refining this pattern.

Here's the mussels.

20080612123550.jpg

clump%20of%20quaggas.jpg

and here's the new and improved fly.

DSCF5955-X2.jpg

DSCF5954-X2.jpg

DSCF5956-X2.jpg

DSCF5957-X2.jpg

DSCF5964-X2.jpg

DSCF5966-X2.jpg

DSCF5967-X2.jpg

DSCF5969-X2.jpg

DSCF5971-X2.jpg

DSCF5975-X2.jpg

Lots of fun. I'm going to switch back to crayfish for a little while, just for fun.

Cool idea. Give 'em what they eat and make it look like it broke free of it's group and is drifting loose. Easy pickin's. When is the big trip again?

54 minutes ago, vicrider said:

Cool idea. Give 'em what they eat and make it look like it broke free of it's group and is drifting loose. Easy pickin's. When is the big trip again?

So the idea is, there's a bunch of redears down there all trying to pick these things lose. The when one comes free, it's a race to get to it. Kind of like when predator fish attack a bait ball, when wounded bait fish sink from the ball everybody swoops in to get it.

The trip isn't till next March, March and April being the peek months.

Thanks guys.

What's your plan for getting on the water? Taking a boat down with you? Hiring a guide for a few days? Others going on the trip with you? Inquiring minds want to know. My birthday is next April. The thing that would worry me the most is that if the drought continues all reservoir activity could get cut off from low water levels. From what I read Havasu is always within 5' of full pool but don't quite understand this when the Colorado River is one the most talked about rivers during the continuing drought.

2 hours ago, vicrider said:

What's your plan for getting on the water? Taking a boat down with you? Hiring a guide for a few days? Others going on the trip with you? Inquiring minds want to know. My birthday is next April. The thing that would worry me the most is that if the drought continues all reservoir activity could get cut off from low water levels. From what I read Havasu is always within 5' of full pool but don't quite understand this when the Colorado River is one the most talked about rivers during the continuing drought.

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

After the last new world record redear was posted I did a google search to find a guide down there. One guy answered me back. None of the others did.  He had only eight days in March open. I booked them all. He's in charge of everything except the water level in the reservoir, the flies and my lodging. He said he'd take me and one buddy. Said he wasn't mixing "Pods" due to the virus.

Here's hoping for some good rains for this winter.

I'll have to write him and see about water levels and stuff.

21 hours ago, vicrider said:

Just heard back from the guide and his wife. They said, there's like zero chance they'll shut the lake down for low water. They are projecting the lake to drop only 3-5 feet at the most in late summer and I'm going in the spring. The only thing it could effect is fish movement. If the water is low, the fish will have to adapt and we will have to adapt too.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:57 PM, vicrider said:

PS, when I last talked to them, they had a day open in April. You can contact them here if you want. https://rvers.life/havasu-net-em/#what-i-offer