Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Warning on WTB or ISO of ads on Classified

There is a nationwide internet scam going on (another one) that concerns WTB ads on Classified forums. You post an ad looking for a particular rod, vise, reel, etc and get a response from a NEW member that a friend has just that item for sale cheap. He'll give you an email to get hold of him to get the negotiation off the board. He'll then send you pictures he's just copied from somewhere on the internet and give you a great price but only if you Paypal with Friends and Family so he doesn't have to eat the charges. When you do this you lose the protection Paypal can offer. If this should happen on this board please let me know members name and I can ban them so they can't hassle someone else. Even though I have this warning on another board and have had it for some time a member just let me know he got a great deal on a classic bamboo rod worth $2K for $500. Yep, he sent it Friend and Family and now that money he was saving toward a dream rod he wants is gone and Paypal will not do anything since you used F & F to bypass their fees.

Nick

Thanks for the info. The only ad I'm looking for is a 1925 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud for $1,000 and in perfect running condition. j/k 

Heard of a lady who fell for the African prince scam...twice.

We had a couple of losers on the great deals on motorcycles. Working on an oil rig on Mars so must sacrifice. Will ship for free and you will have 10 day inspection period. Actually you will have 10 days to wonder how you could be so stupid as to send $4K overseas for a $20K motorcycle and think you were going to get it. Good luck on the Rolls. Years ago I had a Rolls Canardly. Could Roll down one hill and Canardly make it up the next.

17 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I'm looking for is a 1925 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud for $1,000

I've got a friend selling one, please contact me off board.  

4 hours ago, vicrider said:

Roll down one hill and Canardly make it up the next.

🤣 - I love the classics. 

4 hours ago, vicrider said:

We had a couple of losers on the great deals on motorcycles. Working on an oil rig on Mars so must sacrifice. Will ship for free and you will have 10 day inspection period. Actually you will have 10 days to wonder how you could be so stupid as to send $4K overseas for a $20K motorcycle and think you were going to get it. Good luck on the Rolls. Years ago I had a Rolls Canardly. Could Roll down one hill and Canardly make it up the next.

Interesting. I drove a 1972 Silver Cloud. Asked the sales rep how many HP it had. "Enough."

niveker, waiting to get my check from the African prince. Then I'll get back to you.

13 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

niveker, waiting to get my check from the African prince. Then I'll get back to you.

👍, good deal!

I am glad no one is scammed here. In my local forum we have settings that if you don't have 50 posts accomplished (not just dumb replies etc) you can't POST sale or reply to posted sale.

Classified Subforum is locked until you are established as member. However, I agree that we have to ALWAYS exercise some caution. Even with established members.