Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Philly

A couple of baitfish

This one I tied up for a salt water bait fish swap. It's intended to imitate a peanut bunker, but will make do as a shad imitation. A lot of the larger lakes around here have shad populations and in the fall the YOY American shad head back down the Delaware River to the ocean. This one is about 2 1/2" long.

post-309-0-83530500-1487523577_thumb.jpg

This one came out of the discussion on a Black Dace woolly bugger a couple of weeks back. They're fairly common in local streams I fish. Still needs a bit of work on the back color. I've seen them up in Vermont with olive backs, but the descriptions of the ones we have in PA say light tan to brown backs. It's about an 1 1/2" long.

post-309-0-04507100-1487523857_thumb.jpg

This one I tied up for a salt water bait fish swap. It's intended to imitate a peanut bunker, but will make do as a shad imitation. A lot of the larger lakes around here have shad populations and in the fall the YOY American shad head back down the Delaware River to the ocean. This one is about 2 1/2" long.

attachicon.gifP2180017-1.jpg

This one came out of the discussion on a Black Dace woolly bugger a couple of weeks back. They're fairly common in local streams I fish. Still needs a bit of work on the back color. I've seen them up in Vermont with olive backs, but the descriptions of the ones we have in PA say light tan to brown backs. It's about an 1 1/2" long.

attachicon.gifP2180019_edited-1.jpg

I'm also from PA, and by coincidence, I caught a trout with a dace this morning similar to yours. Mine had a brown back. Just thought I'd let you know they do work. What materials did you use. They look very nice.

They're both tied with Senyo Laser Dub. The shad/bunker is basically high tied. The dace is tied with three pieces of the Laser Dub high tied in behind the hook eye. Tied in the black first, then the white and the olive. The fly came out pretty thin, so I'm going to changing up the amount I use to give it a bit more bulk.

feathers5 thanks for the tip on the back color. I know I have light tan, not sure if I have a brown. I've been experimenting with the Laser Dub and I may be able to blend some colors together to get a shade of brown.