Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

River Monsters!

It's a good program. I do truly like the odd fish he gets to go after.

It's a bit boring, when he's going on and on about the legends and other stories, sometimes.

I get really tired of the drama. He's always running out of time at the end of each episode. If he doesn't catch one on this last cast ... it's going to be a heartbreaking ... OH, there's a fish on ... yea!!! It's the fish he was after the whole time ... YEA!!!! The world is saved again !!!

I enjoy all the things about it, stories and legends etc etc. Like any other program they always try to make it a bit more drama filled, with river monsters it doesn't bother me though because Jeremy and his journey outweigh any added drama for me.

I love the locations and the fish. Maybe I don't like the rest of it because of the jealousy.

Why couldn't I have come up with the idea, and get paid to travel the world fishing???

If you haven't read it yet Mike you should check out Jeremy's book. It's a really good read and tells all his stories without the added stuff the show throws in.

Yeah he's an interesting bloke. Took him self to places long before he was paid by TV. Places like the Congo when the civil war was still on. I reckon he has been daft enough to deserven his success.

The drama helps sell it to a wider audience than just fisherman too.

I like it. I like MeatEater with Steven Rinella. My favorite show, I watch very little tv other than ball games, is the Booze Traveller.

You may be quite surprised how little is paid for these series. When a friend of mine made one, a number of years ago, the initial payment was £800 per episode. To give you an idea how little that is, use of an editing suit for 8 hours cost £1000+ at the time. The repeat fees and syndication are where the money is made. It isn't a way to become rich quickly in this country. He didn't see any return until at least the 6th repeat. (I suspect he made it more because he wanted to see himself on TV)

Cheers,

C..

I'm kinda with mikechell on this one. Liked the early episodes but after you've caught a few stingrays and catfish there's not a lot to do except talk about the legends. It's always gotta be maneaters or man killers and there's always someone who got his leg ripped off by the catfish. The burial/burning sites at the river where the remains go in to feed the cats is a little gross IMO. I guess Wels catfish eat about anything they can catch and that recent catch of a giant Wels had a mouth big enough to eat a pygmy or a dog. Too much drama and not enough actual fishing.

At least the couple of shows like his actually catch a fish. How someone can get paid to make bigfoot shows where they're always a click away from seeing or trapping one mystifies me. You get 3 or 4 old rednecks standing around in the woods and have someone off camera break some branches and let out a howl and you have yourself an "almost got him" episode.

Good example of gullibility was the well done shows on finding mermaids and how they evolved on a different path than us who crawled to land. Hundreds of people wrote in wanting to know how the government could continue doing their deep echo research and depth sounding when we were damaging the merman and mermaids lifestyles. Oh boy..........

If you haven't read it yet Mike you should check out Jeremy's book. It's a really good read and tells all his stories without the added stuff the show throws in.

Yeah, it's really a good read. A lot of cool stuff in it.

Sure, there's a tad too much drama in it, but it's still a great show. Watching it at the moment actually! I agree that the fish and locations make it all worth it. There's even a few where he does a bit of fly fishing smile.png Taimen and tarpon on the fly were two of my favorite episodes.

I do have to say that it seemed like he was running out of things to catch. I mean, there's only so many river monsters out there. I'm interested to see what season 7 holds!