Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyerinpa

Apple Caddis Pupa

Hoping somebody can help on this one, a guy asked me to tie him a dozen Apple Caddis Pupa flys, I've been searching for over an hour but cant find anything, does any body have a pattern by that name ? Thanks in advance Ed

I copied and pasted "Apple Caddis Pupa fly" from your post ... and got a half dozen suggestions at the top of the page.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Apple+Caddis+Pupa+fly&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS749US749&oq=Apple+Caddis+Pupa+fly&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Brachycentrus appalachia--Apple Caddis, Light Shadfly, Light Grannom; adults have very light tannish or grayish wings (almost white when freshly emerged) and apple green bodies; pupae are apple green with tan wingcases.

troutnut.com

==========

I would tie a favorite caddis pupa pattern in those colors, unless he can give you a sample to copy or a reference.

I remember seeing some on Planettrout's blog...

Here it is:

zwbvJKC.jpg

I tied up a bunch of them for my son to use in the waters around Roscoe, NY...It imitates the Brachycentrus (Grannom) Caddis. I use this pattern for it here in the Eastern Sierra and it really works well. It is a variant on Craig Matthew's Guide Serendipity that is used on the Madison River for the Mother's Day Caddis Hatch:

JmfLpfk.jpg

PT/TB

I ran into that hatch once, many years ago, on the Upper Delaware. It's a neat looking caddis with the bright green body and the cream/light tan wing. I tied some CDC and Elks to match the adult and emerger in case I ever ran into it again. Never did. Here's a picture of one.

post-309-0-72746300-1522442214_thumb.jpg

As far as the pupa go, all the ones posted look good. Pick one of the fancy ones and tie him up a dozen, then tie up a half dozen Green Weenies as a bonus and let the fish decide which they like best. I tied these mini-mop flies as generic "Green Rock Worm" patterns.

post-309-0-54162100-1522442812_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-90894700-1522442826_thumb.jpg