Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brad432

Foam

hey guys i just baught some foam from the craft store, i was wondering what would be an easy tye for a begginer. i just want to learn the basics right now so advice or anything, i really need to know what the best way to cut the foam would be, as scissors arent working very well for me but maybe its just inexperience.

What thickness is it? Because i use mainly scissors to cut all of my foam. But go for the Chernobyl ant, great little fly that works on trout, bass, and bluegill... as also various other species.

If you want to see lots of foam flies just click on Browse by Material. When it comes up click on Foam. Hundreds of flies to choose from. To cut the foam I use a Fiskars Razor and a steel straight edge ruler. The Fiskars Razor is the kind with the roller blade. Works great.

A fillet knife (not the electric kind!)( I use my old Rappala) works great. Be sure to cut on a surface, such as a iece of glass, marble, or the cutting pads that quilters use,to keep from dulling the cutting edge after only 2 or 3 cuts. The Razor knife also works quite well. I whole heartedly endorse Floyd's comments.

perchjerker

I have one of those big paper cutters that the teachers in school used to use, you know the guillotine kinda big blade thingy. I use that and can get a good precise but more important consistent cut every time, been using the same one for about 4yrs now and have no need to sharpen yet, gave 3 bucks for it a garage sale.

Steve

Some people apparently have trouble with the old 'guillotine' papercutters cutting a nice uniform edge. One way to correct this is to put the foam, or any other type 'rubber', such as latex, in side a manila folder and cut folder and all.

perchjerker

I originally had issues with that but found that I simply needed to tighten the blade hinge pin, if it gets the tiniest bit loose it will make your cut uneven or not even cut at all. Also if you put a little pressure towards the board it will be a bit cleaner as well.

Steve

thanks everyone, ive been working on it and ive tied up some pretty Ploppers that you sent me the video on, ill be making a couple frogs too i just ran out of my preferred Mustad topwater hook, so once i get to the store ill be making lots more. all those tips made it very easy for me to make very pretty flys.

Thanks again,

Brad

I'd go with a gurgler. I am sure if you search here for a Gartside Gurgler plenty of versions would pop up. great fly for many fish and really a fairly easy one to tie.

cutting foam really isnt a precision science and what works for me is a plain old pair of fiskar scissors, the longer the better

p_ha_Fiskars_145x1991.jpg