Fly Tying
vicrider

Do scuds swim backwards?

I have seen scuds in inches deep water and was on a research vessel in Lake Superior for a trip where they dredged them up from 150' down. The one thing I've never made note of is how they swim. I see most scud imitations, especially those beautiful and realistic ones some tie, have eyes and "feelers" at the back/bend of the hook. Is this the way they swim?

I'm guessing that it doesn't matter which way they swim or how they are tied. I believe all flies used under an indicator are representing a bug who's at the current's mercy. If the hook doesn't bother them, I doubt if the head being on the wrong end will either.

Forwards. Look on youtube for examples. Patterns most commonly used in stillwaters, so current is not really germane. In a tailwater with scuds or Mysis shrimp, probably less of an issue (if at all).

streamflow isn't a factor (or much of one) in a lake, but wind-blown currents can be. And scuds in the water column would be planktonic. (i.e., they can locomote only weakly but are mostly moved by the water.)

If you could catch some live and put them in a fishbowl, we could know the answer.

Wow...them guys dart off a lot faster than I thought they would. Kind of shows you can do little spurts with them and not just dead drift. Not very long bursts but pretty darn quick. Back when we fish leeches for walleye everyone would hook the leech thru the sucker end even tho they swam the other way. Never seemed to bother the fish tho.