Fly Tying

This was a very fun day on the San Juan river fishing with some friends. A subscriber of mine had seen me at the pub a few weeks prior to this, and we talked about fishing for a while. We decided we needed to go out fishing and today was the day. We had a blast, and got to explore many parts of the river. While the day wasn't too productive, it was still a fun day. I hooked 11 fish, and brought in 7. Most of which were small, and all the ones I brought in were under 15". However I did hook a 17-18" fish but lost that due to bumbling around with my go pro since I wasn't filming at the time.

Thanks Native! :)

You know I love the Durango and Navaho Lake tailwaters almost as much as my Wyoming and Montana hideouts. Spent a week camped at Vallacito Reservoir. Guys fished every day, Ladies and kids fished some, shopped like fiends, hit the Hot Springs. Drove the narrow guage route to Silverton, watching and filming the steam train. Fished more. One of best possible family times ever. But I will warn you early when I head that way. Can test the rods from Steel on primo waters!!!

Yeah it's a great area, I love it here. If you like outdoors, your gonna love it here. If your not an outdoor type of person, you are gonna hate it. Haha

Yeah it's a great area, I love it here. If you like outdoors, your gonna love it here. If your not an outdoor type of person, you are gonna hate it. Haha

Reprise of Wyoming for sure. My friends and family mostly really into outdoor life, so we liked SW Colorado a lot. They women and kids also toured Mesa Verde, I will catch that too. Later

Nice video Mcfly !

You need to watch the footage of that flyshop owner and how he handled the fish he successfully netted.

A 10 ft 4 wt is what has been on my radar as well.

Nice video Mcfly !

You need to watch the footage of that flyshop owner and how he handled the fish he successfully netted.

A 10 ft 4 wt is what has been on my radar as well.

Thanks! I mean, he was the owner's grandson, so he has literally been fishing this river since he could walk. Makes sense that he knows how to fight these fish more than me. One thing though that makes a difference (besides his skill) is that he was using a fiberglass rod that was very moderate. Also, he actually didnt hook that fish on midges, it was something called a "chama eel" I believe, which is basically a san juan worm but with a large leather strip instead of chenille. The hooks were much larger. I would not loose many fish if I was fishing a size 12 hook ya know? Its that the hooks were 28 that I was fishing. This river is known for loosing lots of fish due to many people fishing these small midges. I asked him about the Chama eel, and he said that its rare when it actually works. But that day it was working, so he fished it. During the time he fished though, he still lost 3 out of the 7 he hooked and he knows how to fight them. Its just how this river is. He said the ones he lost that day were due to hooking on the smaller trailing midge he was fishing along with the Chama eel. Seriously, even the guides I talk to for this river say the same thing. You loose more fish on this river than any other. You do hook more though, you just don't always bring them in.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that many fishermen in such close proximity. Is that normal for the San Juan?

Nice video Mcfly, my speakers on my PC are not working so I had no sound but looks like you guys had a nice time out there.

BTW- The rod with the burl grip/rubberized trim ends, rosewood seat and silver trim bands, is that one of my builds? It sure looks like my work to me. Who's rod is that?

I wouldn't be comfortable with that many fishermen in such close proximity. Is that normal for the San Juan?

Yes, yes it is. Very normal... Its a wonderful river, but there are a lot of people there most of the time. I went out a few days ago (not this trip) and hooked into a decent fish. It was snowing outside, and the temps were well below freezing. My beard froze solid... HAHA That was like one of the first days Ive ever had on the Juan where I didnt see more than 30 people. There still were 5 though, die hards like me...

Maybe a chamois "shammy" worm?

HAHA yep, thats what he was using! That guy was hooking into fish on a Shammy worm. For some reason I kept calling it a "Chama eel" but I don't know why... Yes a Shammy worm.... I think around here people call it a "shammy eel" not worm... But, it don't matter. There is a river called the "chama" close by, and I thought maybe it was named after that "like the san juan worm is named after this river".

Nice video Mcfly, my speakers on my PC are not working so I had no sound but looks like you guys had a nice time out there.

BTW- The rod with the burl grip/rubberized trim ends, rosewood seat and silver trim bands, is that one of my builds? It sure looks like my work to me. Who's rod is that?

Yes, I actually said that (if your speakers were working)... ;) HAHA Yes, its one of yours. Vicrider was kind enough to let me borrow it for a few weeks. I am sending it back to him next week since you are building me a new one, all my own. I am so excited... HAHA